2012 Coins

That's a sight I don't want to see.. hope they never come out with them. Does anyone really want to get a box of all new 2012's?

Well here in Canada I usually start seeing them about the middle of march then from then on they become more common.

Got 5 rolls of 2011p dimes the other day, but no 2012 yet.

Not yet, but the other day I came across out of 10 rolls of MWR pennies, 7 solid rolls of 2011.

Just today, in pocket change, 3-2012 pennies....errrrrrrr

I don't understand why all the extra coins made every year. Just seems like a glut of coins out there every year. Makes no sense to me. The population hasn't grown that much. If they want to make coins, they should just make less.

SFBayArea said:
I don't understand why all the extra coins made every year. Just seems like a glut of coins out there every year. Makes no sense to me. The population hasn't grown that much. If they want to make coins, they should just make less.
Part of it would be inflation. I think their philosophy behind that is that most people just throw their spare change into a jar where it sits for years to come and thus the coins disappear from circulation, to a certain extent.
Or perhaps they are just trying to accommodate for all the old coins we all remove from circulation.

SFBayArea said:

Taken directly from the US Mint website.......

What is the life span of a coin?

The approximate life span of a coin is 25 years.

What happens to United States coins that are no longer fit for circulation?

Those coins are classified as "uncurrent" or mutilated. Mutilated coins are coins that are chipped, fused, and not machine countable. Mutilated coins are only redeemable through the United States Mint.

Uncurrent coins are coins that are worn yet recognizable as to genuineness and denomination, and are machine countable. Uncurrent coins are redeemed by the Federal Reserve Banks, then forwarded to the Mint for disposition.

All uncurrent or mutilated coins received by the Mint are melted, and the metal is shipped to a fabricator to be used in the manufacture of coinage strips.

Farchaus2k said:
SFBayArea said:

Those coins are classified as "uncurrent" or mutilated. Mutilated coins are coins that are chipped, fused, and not machine countable. Mutilated coins are only redeemable through the United States Mint.

Uncurrent coins are coins that are worn yet recognizable as to genuineness and denomination, and are machine countable. Uncurrent coins are redeemed by the Federal Reserve Banks, then forwarded to the Mint for disposition.

All uncurrent or mutilated coins received by the Mint are melted, and the metal is shipped to a fabricator to be used in the manufacture of coinage strips.
And yet if you look hard enough you will find coins far older than 25 years old in circulation, sometimes you can even find coins older than 100 years.

That Canadian Guy said:
Farchaus2k said:
SFBayArea said:

And yet if you look hard enough you will find coins far older than 25 years old in circulation, sometimes you can even find coins older than 100 years.

very true... some people even find 150+year old coins:)

Maybe the Mint counts coin years different than people years. Kinda like dog years.

SFBayArea said:

its part of the master plan of government waste. when it doesnt make sense is when they say two please!

Farchaus2k said:
SFBayArea said:

So if I stop by the mint in SF, will they let me swap my mutilated coins for new ones? Or do I have to drive to Denver to do it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back