2.1 MB · Views: 80

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can identify the material if you do a specific weight calculation. You will need to be able to measure the weight of the object on an accurate scale, followed by another weight measurement on the scale with the object suspended in water by a cord. A text file is attached showing the process. Interesting find!

Attachments

• Material_Density_Determination.txt
    903 bytes · Views: 1
Upvote 1

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's truly lead, you can sell it for scrap metal. I have a local guy who pays $1 a pound for it.

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to throw this out there... if that lead is a "low Alpha"... it could be worth some serious $$$.

"Recently, low alpha lead has been reported to be worth 50x-200x regular scrap lead prices."

Upvote 1
OP
OP
humblecat

humblecat

Mar 31, 2024
Just to throw this out there... if that lead is a "low Alpha"... it could be worth some serious $$$.

"Recently, low alpha lead has been reported to be worth 50x-200x regular scrap lead prices."
Hmmm gonna have to google what that means. That would be sweet. How do you know if it is?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
humblecat

humblecat

Mar 31, 2024
That would be the next logical thing to Google. :)
So far I have found threads about antiquity lead right on here instead of google. 😎 so far I haven’t found how to test it on here or google. If anyone has a link that would be great. When I do find out I will post it here in case anyone else would like to know 🌸🌺

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So far I have found threads about antiquity lead right on here instead of google. 😎 so far I haven’t found how to test it on here or google. If anyone has a link that would be great. When I do find out I will post it here in case anyone else would like to know 🌸🌺
That's quite the hunk of lead, and even if you were to sell it as lead you need to remove the iron pan/plate/pot from the piece. (pictures it looks like a pot)
Get a magnet test the piece that I referred to.

Now for it to be Low-alpha lead it has to meet a certain standard.
Most of that is lead that pre dates the 1800s
Have a read on this forum thread

The thing is very few yards that buy scrap might of heard of low alpha lead.
Next thing is where to sell the item?
Before one sells the item is where to test the item?

Even if the item is in fact LAL(Low Alpha Lead) it's only 20 lbs, and that isn't high weight item to be messing with in the industry.
Not to throw water on the candle of hope here, it's just that when I owned a scrap yard and having inquiries of LAL here was my dilemma.
I called 5 brokers, all of them stated they didn't deal in it-didn't have a buyer for it.
Having a single item of metal that might be worth extra money is worth separating if there is a market for that metal.
If the buyer(me) doesn't have a buyer(broker), then that piece of metal is basically thrown into the barrel of other metals.
Scrap metal recycling is the 180 degrees from manufacturing.

Metal
Scrap yard(Might sell to bigger yard)
Broker(could go to another larger broker)
Foundry/mill
Distributer
Manufacturer

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread