What's new

$270 in halves... and getting the run around

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
1,915
Reaction score
120
Golden Thread
0
Location
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I got 270 dollars in halves, only netted me 3 40%. Not bad, still not getting skunked.

After I got these coins, I thought I should try to order some boxes. I called a couple of my banks.
They are both credit unions, not the same type of credit union though. The first one said they can't order me boxes of halves. I called my other bank, they said that they wouldn't either. But she did say bigger banks would do it, but it is expensive for me to do, they won't do it for free. What should I do?? Does it cost you guys anything when you have boxes of halves ordered??
 
Upvote 0
What bank?? Apparently no banks around here do that. What should I do??
 
timbobwey said:
What bank?? Apparently no banks around here do that. What should I do??

I had to ask around I've gotten them from several different banks. not all are willing. But they can get halves. it is common for them to try and put you off but around here banks are a dime a dozen so most are willing to comply with my request. Once you find a bank that will order for you see if they will put you on a standing order so you can get boxes every week in essence your tagging on to their weekly orders so it shouldn't be an issue as long as you always make your pickup and don't leave them holding the box.

Mojo.
 
Unless you live in a 1 horse town , join a bank that doesnt charge fees.
 
timbobwey said:
Ok, I got 270 dollars in halves, only netted me 3 40%. Not bad, still not getting skunked.

After I got these coins, I thought I should try to order some boxes. I called a couple of my banks.
They are both credit unions, not the same type of credit union though. The first one said they can't order me boxes of halves. I called my other bank, they said that they wouldn't either. But she did say bigger banks would do it, but it is expensive for me to do, they won't do it for free. What should I do?? Does it cost you guys anything when you have boxes of halves ordered??
We are not getting skunked much either but no getting much either- last week we did 24 Boxes and only got 3 Skunks but also only got 37 Silvers too.
 
a lot of banks will say no hoping you just walk away, which most likely you will because who are you to question them? order from a bank and asked their branch to order and they said no... i stood there and said are you serious? was like talking to a wall
 
If the bank does enough business that they have a pick or send off delivery scheduled each week then it usually doesnt cost them any extra money to order you coins, since they already have a scheduled delivery anyway. If they have to have a special request delivery that is seperate from their contract with the pickup/delivery company then they will in fact get charged. Just find a bank that has a weekly prescheduled appointment.
 
Should I just go ask different banks?? I don't want to have to start an account at another bank.
Or should I just call my bank and ask to talk to the manager?
I don't see why it's such a big deal for them to start ordering halves for someone, they get coins in like every day from the armored trucks. How hard could it be for them? I'm sure all they have to do is make a call to order them, big deal. They act like it's costing them tons of money to do it.
 
[ Does it cost you guys anything when you have boxes of halves ordered??
[/quote]

I have been turned down by a few banks, but the two larger ones gave me the ring around until I let them know I was serious. Seems like it helps if you ask them a few times and let them know you will order by the box, just a suggestion-- it worked for me.
 
I want to start ordering 3 or 4 boxes a week, I just need to find a bank that will do this. I don't know what I have to do, all the accounts I have are at credit unions, should I try BOA or 5th third??
 
timbobwey said:
I want to start ordering 3 or 4 boxes a week, I just need to find a bank that will do this. I don't know what I have to do, all the accounts I have are at credit unions, should I try BOA or 5th third??
BOA has ordered lots of boxes for me. Good luck with credit unions, I belong to two, neither one will order coin for me, so there I dump.
 
I think I will be opening an account at an actual bank then, and dump at the credit unions. I will still get customer rolls from some credit unions too, just not as often. Fistful, what part of Michigan are you in?? I'm in southwest.
 
I order from Boa and First Citizen, no fee. 5/3 will let me buy bags off the machine, even though I dump there. it's just all about becoming familiar with them and promising to not bring them back. ;D
 
I never dump where I buy anyhow, so not a big deal.. I will find a bank by the end of the week to order me halves, I'm just going to call all around. If I need to open a new account, so be it. Thanks for all the help and info guys.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom