What's new

285 year old cut silver - plus civil war iron, brass and lead . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
2,858
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hit my Union campsite, literally right behind the combine.

DSCN1784.webp

Was skunked at lunch and could not BELIEVE it. I have found so much in these fields and it was unbelievable to me that I could hunt for even an hour and not find something. After lunch I thought, "I should go in the woods." But I have VERY RARELY found anything in these woods. My theory is the poachers would stay mostly in the woods over the years to avoid detection, but the open fields around the house are too wide open and easily seen. So I went back to the field. Did much better. A button back, a cuff button whose face dissolved as I retrieved it, and some round balls and a couple of 3-ringers. Once again, I got the nagging feeling to step into the woods (VERY thick) despite my lack of success there in the past. I gave in. Fought 20' into the briars, turned the unit on and lowered the head. Headphones screamed. It was the back of a hodgkis (sp?) artillery shell just 3 inches down. Straightened up to kick dirt in the hole and as I held the machine behind me, another screaming signal. Kicked the leaves away and it was a flat button on top of the ground! Picked THAT up and the machine screamed where I had lowered it. First perfect (thick style) kepi buckle I have found. Bizarre. In a space the size of a bathtub. Pulled a few more 3-ringers and some shell frags.

DSCN1803.webp

Next day I went to an old Colonial homesite. This isn't my kind of hunting, but digging buddy found a piece of cut silver.

DSCN1789.webp

I found an 1876 dime, a pocket watch and some "stuff." I like the CW hunting, but I had a good time anyway!

DSCN1785.webpDSCN1787.webpDSCN1804.webpDSCN1810.webp
 
Upvote 46
Neat Finds!!!
 
HERE WE GO AGAIN . PARSON YOU HAVE SOME REALLY NEAT RELICS THERE AND A DAMN GOOD SITE TO FIND THEM .....
 
WTG man...sorry I missed this. I am in a silver drought after starting the year off quick. Go get em!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom