May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello all,

normally I'd be jumping up and down with a barber half ... well it was kind of a bitter/sweet find

here's the story :

i only had a short time to detect so with Paco's permission (it's his site) i went to a place close to home that has produced so many incredible finds over the last year

well to make a long story short i stumbled upon yet another homestead on this very large farm, thinking it was another colonial site (as we've found several here) i started to detect it quick as my time was running out - my first target was a 00 29 on my SE, i dug it and saw it was silver - BIG SILVER - now it was decked by the plow and obviously fire burnt but yeah MY MIND WAS RACING BIGTIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i quickly got it home and got the dirt off it, called Paco at work and got him super excited about it (thinking it was early american or maybe even spanish) then after cleaning a bit I saw the edging on one side - ok not spanish and then a little later after starring at it thru a magnifying glass I saw the ONLY identifiable features on the thing "897" cleary an 8 - 9 - 7

which puts it as a Barber Half - the ugliest one you will ever see :)

now the good news out of all of this (besides I got a nice hunk of silver) is that the homestead was probably burnt down, definately virgin and yeah there's probably more there

take care

vp

Attachments

• barberhalf-02.jpg
    barberhalf-02.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread