2nd day detecting and need advice on coin cleaning

panchoveeya

Feb 5, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my second day I've gone out since I've had my detector and boy is it a lot of work. I hit a modern park playground just to do some more practicing and it was only about a 25ft in diameter area. This detector picks up a piece of foil 1/8 of an inch size! So I had to change it to discrimination mode. So no luck on gold or silver, but at the end of my day I tried to clean my finds and was unsuccessful. I tried the hot water and soap and nothing happened. This grime or whatever it was was on there good and wasn't coming off. I even scratch at it with my nail (I knew it was clad) and it wouldn't budge. What am I supposed to do when I find some good coins? Why do coins get like this anyways? The cents are really corroded. The necklace I believe is not silver, but getting more exciting every time I go out. Better than a bunch of nails!

DSC02536.JPG DSC02555.JPG DSC02550.JPG

Upvote 0

brandon_crouch

Mar 25, 2013
shelbyville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta 4000
To be honest when you find old coins your best bet is to just rinse them off with water but other that you start taking away value..the collectors pay more for them if you dont clean them... I personally would not rub or try to clean them any more then just rinseing them off ...

brandon_crouch

Mar 25, 2013
shelbyville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta 4000
Oh and most silver coins will not look nearly as tarnished as clad every silver coin I have dug has had almost no tarnish on it but the clad is almost unreadable so water does the trick with silver coins

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are learning fast. Digging holes is a lot of work! I decided shortly after I got my first detector that digging trash wasn't for me! Learn the machine, choose the amount of digging you want to do, and then learn how to discriminate so that you get more good targets than junk. There is nothing wrong with digging everything, but if I had to, I would give up the hobby. What's most important is that you find good stuff and you have fun doing it. Cleaning and restoring finds is fun too. But there is time for that later. Welcome to the addiction. H Digs :)

View attachment 773545

OP
OP
panchoveeya

panchoveeya

Feb 5, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the advice and yes, it is very addicting but fun. Digging every hit would tire and discourage many people so learning the machine and discrimination is very important. Dig on gentleman!

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do coins get like that: Organic acids from plants, pesticides and fertilizers, different metals (coin vs iron in soil) in contact with each other and water transfer chemical energy (all cause corrosion). If you know the coins are clad but don't want to spend them or deposit them in that condition, then you will need a rock polisher or brass cleaner. Dump coins in with gravel or walnut shells and spin. Should come out clean. After good water/soap cleaning, 60-80% will go into a coinstar just fine.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Pancho are you using the Lobo for playground hunting?

OP
OP
panchoveeya

panchoveeya

Feb 5, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks once again. Yes Iam using the Lobo. It is my first and only detector. I got it through a trade because I didn't have the funds for a Garret AT PRO which is my ultimate machine. The Lobo works great other than no depth detection, but I do plan on keeping it because from what I read, it's great for nugget hunting. Who knows....I might get lucky someday out here in the "gold rush state."

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Your cross may not be silver but it's one of the most interesting crosses in design that I've seen, with elements suggesting the nails of Jesus' cross. While many silver coins come out of the ground looking silver, some come out with nice grey or black patina such as one of the Mercury dimes my son dug, and he chose to leave it black. Happy digging days to you! Andi

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread