diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another one I just can't figure out.
I get a good strong signal. Dig the plug to find no signal in the hole. Scan the plug ( from the bottom ) , no signal. Flip the plug over, scan it from the top , no signal. Put the plug back in the hole, scan it and get the signal.
( I'm using a DD but experience same issue with round coil. )
Jim, I suspect you are just missing the target, not because you are doing anything wrong though. In my experience, I have had the same thing happen. I'll often find these long rusty iron nails or fence wire by digging out a little further around the perimeter of my empty hole. I think these targets have some kind of tendency to direct the emf out away from their ends or something so that where you think is top dead center over the target, is really further away. I have a picture of a jagged lightning bolt in mind shooting out the end of the target over to the center of my coil. Can't explain it but it does happen as you describe. I use the V540 exclusively so maybe input from someone more experienced will help.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, I suspect you are just missing the target, not because you are doing anything wrong though. In my experience, I have had the same thing happen. I'll often find these long rusty iron nails or fence wire by digging out a little further around the perimeter of my empty hole. I think these targets have some kind of tendency to direct the emf out away from their ends or something so that where you think is top dead center over the target, is really further away. I have a picture of a jagged lightning bolt in mind shooting out the end of the target over to the center of my coil. Can't explain it but it does happen as you describe. I use the V540 exclusively so maybe input from someone more experienced will help.
Are you using a pin pointer?

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using a pin pointer?
What I'm describing is using the pinpointing function of the V540 machine and checking at 90 degrees each way to the target. Digging a 4" or 5" dia. plug based on the DD coil center only to find a long rusty object is just outside of the diameter of my plug. It's weird and doesn't happen so much that it's a problem. But it does happen. All I can think of is the signal seems to be highly concentrated and directed out of the point of the object.

Dylan Wheeler

Jul 10, 2022
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Nokta Gold Kruzer
Vanquish 440
Mineralized soil & oxidation around the target can cause bouncy/false signals sometimes. I have a 440, there is a local park with REALLY hot soil. The 440 doesn’t do well there at all.

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been watching Calabash Digger videos testing out the Manticore in Iron. The 2d screen on the Manticore is interesting to watch. It kind of illustrates what I have been thinking about these large iron nails or spikes that are falsing off the edge of my Vanquish coil. The screen as Calabash describes "paints" these targets and it often shows the ferrous "painting" or "bleeding" into the non-ferrous zones. I suspected some phenomenon like this when finding large nails or iron outside of my plugs but of course we can't see the iron or any signal pattern illustrated on a Vanquish, only vid numbers and tone.

Check out CD's latest video on this subject here:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another one I just can't figure out.
I get a good strong signal. Dig the plug to find no signal in the hole. Scan the plug ( from the bottom ) , no signal. Flip the plug over, scan it from the top , no signal. Put the plug back in the hole, scan it and get the signal.
( I'm using a DD but experience same issue with round coil. )
The target is just deeper. Without the overburden, the signal can sometimes disappear, or, turn into an iron signal. There's obviously something there, so, dig until you get the target. It might be rusty iron down deep, but, at least you will know. If you get lots of those in a particular area, you'll know to ignore that scenario in the future.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This happened to me with the Vanquish 540 a lot. The rusty object was generally falsing off the edge of the coil. The offender was usually in the side wall. Once you disturb the iron halo, the falsing stops, and the "good" signal disappears. I think it has something to do with the "lesser quality" iron filters. The Equinox and now the Manticore both seem to suffer from the same thing. The Manticore is an advancement of the Nox multi IQ, and the Vanquish is the Nox's little brother. I guess it runs in the family. I can turn up the FE/F2 settings on the Nox and knock a lot of this out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread