2nd Hunt Today Is Even Better Than The 1st!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I have been very busy today. Got out if you read my other post from today and did some scouting for Cjon455 and myself, then went for a hunt and scored 2 more silvers in a drop. After I took the gf to work, I decided to go back to the area I scouted and happened to see a gentleman outside doing yard work at a beautiful old house. He told me it was built in the 1840's by the grandson of a prominent Connecticut settler. For those not familiar with Pennsylvania history, there was a bitter dispute between Connecticut and the Pennamites over the state. There were actually armed hostilities as a result.
Back to the hunt before I give you a 12 page history lesson, lol. The gentleman gave me permission to hunt but said he and his brother had detected the yard quite some time ago. " Hope you find something good" were his parting words as he went back to the work. Well, he was a prophet! I found 2 firsts! One is a crossed cannons civil war token. Can't make out the back yet. The other is a mystery. Hope someone can identify it. Been looking in my Red Book, but nothing yet. It is 22.86 mm ( about the size of a quarter ) and has a right facing bust with "Liberty" above the bust. Can't make out the other side yet. I also found another Indian Head that looks like 1868. Will post more pics when I can get more detail of all. Thanks for looking!

u8ymu3yh.jpg

uhunu6eb.jpg

5enuny2a.jpg

2edybepy.jpg

4utaveby.jpg

9y4yseza.jpg

Upvote 16

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't look like your soil is very kind to copper. great finds. too bad they are so toasty

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you officially suck!, nah just kiddin sir! I think you got yourself a half cent:headbang: and that token is incredible! Jealous guy right here:notworthy: congratufreakinlations brother!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
front n back.jpg dave here's my draped bust half cent from last yr, looks very similar to yours

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. Sure looks like it! I briefly glanced at my finds when I retrieved them and put them in my pouch. I was afraid the guy might want to leave or something, so I wanted to finish the yard, but I still gridded it well and slow.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very awesome finds, they look pretty good to me, especially if I was to find them

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds...great to see you guys are doing so good there .love the old coppers !
Gary

Thank you very much Gary. You can be sure I will be using your suggestion of toothpicks only to clean them that you messaged me with a few months ago! Thank you again for that!

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are two excellent first finds !! LOVING that civil war token!! very nice! You gotta love pulling good stuff out of those "hunted over" spots! Great stuff Old Dude...thanks for sharing..ddf

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, good job on getting permission

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've learned my technique well. ;)

Excellent saves!

I went out to a sidewalk tear out today. Saw it in my travels and even though I hadn't planned on hunting today, I couldn't pass it up. Might just as well had though. 1 hour, 7 pennies, 1 wheat. Ah well, can't all be happy hunts can they. LOL

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,
You've been killing it lately on the old coins!!! Awesome finds Dude. That token is top-notch. :thumbsup:
Get everything out of that property before you take Cjon there. Just bury a few Zincolns over there for him to find. :tongue3:
I'll be on my way up soon. A nice Amish family invited me to stay at their farm. They said they grow corn.
Congrats,
Doug Yoder

Attachments

• ancorn37.jpg
    ancorn37.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,
You've been killing it lately on the old coins!!! Awesome finds Dude. That token is top-notch. :thumbsup:
Get everything out of that property before you take Cjon there. Just bury a few Zincolns over there for him to find. :tongue3:
I'll be on my way up soon. A nice Amish family invited me to stay at their farm. They said they grow corn.
Congrats,
Doug Yoder

That means a lot coming from the guy that has been hand picked to take over as "world's most interesting detectorist" once Dman retires!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man you guys got me itching to go dig somewhere again, this is crazy the stuff yall all find.
Congrats and good luck getting them cleaned up if you can

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and saves! Congrats! :notworthy:
I was actually looking forward to the 12 page history lesson! Maybe another time. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've learned my technique well. ;)

Excellent saves!

I went out to a sidewalk tear out today. Saw it in my travels and even though I hadn't planned on hunting today, I couldn't pass it up. Might just as well had though. 1 hour, 7 pennies, 1 wheat. Ah well, can't all be happy hunts can they. LOL

Not at all. I think I am due a bad hunt, lol. This means Cjon will have another killer one though.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting