2nd King George III this weekend. And a Dandy.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I went back to the tired old colonial bonanza site that we started a few weeks ago. Kirk was working and Kyle did not want to go today so I went myself to see what I could conjure out of the colonial soil. I decided to put my D2 coil on and see if it would coax a few more goodies that our 950's missed. I told Kyle that we dug 3 deep coppers out of there on the first day. Maybe the bucket type electromagnetic pattern would work some magic. My buddy Paco likes this type coil alot and has told me to use it more. I found the small silver coated flat button at 8 inches at the first minute of detecting. A few minutes later I found the pewter spoon handle right in the middle of the dispersal field. It was 6 inches deep. I think we should have found that for sure before :icon_scratch:. Not too long after that the tombac button was found about 3 inches from someone elses covered hole. About 6 inches again. I also found a nice but bent Dandy button at the top of the hill that we obviously missed.About then the guy that turned Kyle and I down yesterday across the street stopped and we talked for about an hour. He apologized for turning us down and said the reason was really that he has intentions of detecting it himself down the road when he finds the time. I told him "No problem" that there is plenty to go around. After we shook hands and he left I started swinging again and about 10 ft. below where Kyle found his French Liard I got a nice 74 vdi on my machine that pinpointed at 4 and a half inches. It turned out to be a beautiful KG III copper. About as good, if not better than the one I found on the first day. Another pewter spoon part after that rounded out the hunt. I definitely was impressed with how the D2 found stuff in an area that I say was bone dry. I did see that pinpointing can be a challenge though. Just something to get used to. My 2nd colonial copper for this weekend, 6 total for me from this site , 13 total coppers for the group (all colonial.) I am hoping that next week we can get the permission at new sites that could possibly increase our overall totals. Good to post something again. Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0005 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0005 (800x600).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 597
  • DSCF0006 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0006 (800x600).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 600
  • DSCF0007 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0007 (800x600).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 606
Upvote 0
Plenty of detail on that! Good to be able to easily see the date!

Nice looking counterfeit :o

Nice coin. You will probably find more relics if you go back again and keep talking to the guy across the street he may let you hunt.
Dman

Great looking KGIII! :icon_thumright:

Maybe you three should offer to give the guy across the street a few detecting lessons and hunt the site with him. :)

CRUSADER said:
Nice looking counterfeit :o

That's exactly what I was thinking but I don't really know enough on the subject to make that assertion. The bust looks all wrong from an actual regal issue.

Great counterfeit.

Yawesome! I wish I could get out one of these days. :dontknow: Maybe I will get a "Yes" for my hunts soon. :dontknow: That King George is in great shape.

Kirk :hello2:

another nice hunt! how many coppers on the year for you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back