2nd Seminole War era flint?

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunting along a known 2nd Seminole War site in Central Florida during low water levels (slight drought) and came across this (the gray one that is rather smooth on all sides). I have found endless Native American artifacts here, and NOTHING matches this. The way this item is "worked" etc just doesn't match up with our Native Indian tribes "style" and I have attached some images of flakes, broken pieces, Indian knives (They don't look like a knife as we know them) (Knives are the items to the right of the shell beads) that I have found throughout the years. Also a side by side of a worked broken arrowhead vs the gray possible flint piece.

Any experts on 1830's-1840's era flint for US Military firearms? Thanks for any info! View attachment 1917294 View attachment 1917295 View attachment 1917296 View attachment 1917297 View attachment 1917298

Last edited:
Upvote 6

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert on flint but have picked up some walking along trails. I see the smooth edges on the gray piece - but the texture seems somewhat grainy. Does the gray piece scratch glass? Consider posting to North American Indian Artifacts

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Very Nice ..keep up the good job in Beautiful Florida

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's a gun flint it was never used. No "nibble" marks on the leading edge. All the gunflints I've seen were made from slick glossy flint. Gary

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you everyone for the replies! I guess it's still up in the air on whether it was a gun flint or not, but going with my gut feeling and the area being in the vicinity of a 2nd Seminole War Fort, I don't see it being a Native American piece from flaking/napping of an arrowhead. I could be wrong, but I have seen so many flakes by now from our Natives and nothing like this. My only other guess would be Seminole Indian (they weren't native to this area), but I have NEVER found a Seminole Indian item as they were carrying guns and metal items by this time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread