What's new

2nd time in 3 months

Truth

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
14,366
Reaction score
32,167
Golden Thread
2
Location
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the second time that I've done this. I snapped the head off my AT Pro.
387611207e6304001c32edf725c1383f.jpg
I don't want to send it back to Garrett because it took him two weeks to get it back to me. I'm back to using duct tape. Is it just me?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
...Seems I remember hearing about the first time. Think I might have even posted a potential fix. If you happen across the thread from last time, please post it and I'll look at the pics.
 
...Seems I remember hearing about the first time. Think I might have even posted a potential fix. If you happen across the thread from last time, please post it and I'll look at the pics.

I don't know how to repost the tread but I had one pic
10852765cd631bf7c6c09f2dc0f88cd2.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sending you a PM
 
Looks like your pretty rough on it by the pics. Looks like a Nugget Noggin detector after he is done with one. He just piles them all together. Crazy... :)
 
Thank you for the links VP. :thumbsup:

I sent him a PM offering assistance in the form of advice on properly fixing the unit. As this is an ongoing problem, a 'proper' fix might well include slightly modifying the unit to better handle his care and habits (in other words, reinforcing the thing where and if it'll help). I would have offered to fix it personally (would have been preferable to me), but got too much "stuff" going on right now.
 
Thank you for the links VP. :thumbsup:

I sent him a PM offering assistance in the form of advice on properly fixing the unit. As this is an ongoing problem, a 'proper' fix might well include slightly modifying the unit to better handle his care and habits (in other words, reinforcing the thing where and if it'll help). I would have offered to fix it personally (would have been preferable to me), but got too much "stuff" going on right now.

What is the proper fix?
 
Had mine 3 years and have managed not to snap the head off.

Looks like you put undue pressure on it [for whatever reason] to cause a fracture like that.
 
You can drill the holes in the shaft a little larger and get some slightly bigger screws. Easy fix. :icon_thumright:
 
What is the proper fix?

First thing is to find out what it is he does that keeps breaking the machine. With that knowledge, one can then engineer proper reinforcement that will better last the particular user.

While installing larger bolts will work, I would not consider that in itself a proper fix. Making the bolts larger means weakening another part of the machine - specifically, at the bottom of the head where the bolts go through. Will this make much difference? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what stresses this detector sees. So it's not just an all-around "you can do it this way" fix, but something tailored specifically for his needs.

I could fix it where it might likely never break again. However, just buried my Mom and have a hell of a lot of family stuff to do right now, as I have already explained to the OP.

In any case, it shouldn't be THAT difficult reinforcing the unit to provide additional strength.
 
I'm a 6"2, 262lb man and no I don't treat it like my wife's hand. I'm very fortunate that I have the opportunity to MD 4 hours days six days a week, so I definitely get my use out of my AT Pro. I knew I needed a tough detector that's why I got a all terrain AT instead of a delicate Deus. I'm just still very surprised about that one soft underbelly weakness of the AT Pro. Thanks for the help I'll handle it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
First thing is to find out what it is he does that keeps breaking the machine. With that knowledge, one can then engineer proper reinforcement that will better last the particular user.

While installing larger bolts will work, I would not consider that in itself a proper fix. Making the bolts larger means weakening another part of the machine - specifically, at the bottom of the head where the bolts go through. Will this make much difference? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what stresses this detector sees. So it's not just an all-around "you can do it this way" fix, but something tailored specifically for his needs.

I could fix it where it might likely never break again. However, just buried my Mom and have a hell of a lot of family stuff to do right now, as I have already explained to the OP.

In any case, it shouldn't be THAT difficult reinforcing the unit to provide additional strength.

Thank you and God Bless


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm a 6"2, 262lb man and no I don't treat it like my wife's hand. I'm very fortunate that I have the opportunity to MD 4 hours days six days a week, so I definitely get my use out of my AT Pro. I knew I needed a tough detector that's why I got a all terrain AT instead of a delicate Deus. I'm just still very surprised about that one soft underbelly weakness of the AT Pro. Thanks for the help I'll handle it.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You know what ? I wouldnt complain at all, I´d just use some type of chest strap and keep it there and you will TAKE OFF all the weight in the shaft, therefore the shaft will be basically weightless and you will be able to swing 24/7 with no complains!

Try it out before trying to do some fix to get it in the shaft again, it´d be something like the Xcal users do :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom