3 Bottles For ID and Value Help

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can provide more photos of whatever area, of a bottle, that you may want to see. Just tell me what you need and I'll try to provide it.

I truly appreciate all the help!

MVC-011S.JPG MVC-009S.JPG MVC-010S.JPG MVC-008S.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Johnny,

The Magnus should be in the $5-10 range. Does the Citrate have anything on top of the stopper? Is it a crown cap?

I cannot read anything on the Ammonia looking bottle, save "New York."

As a general rule, glass is difficult to photograph well. Using a flash on clear glass bottles with a light background, obscures details and embossing. You have a fine quality of natural light in Henderson, try it with your bottle photography... Another rule of bottledom, is to always show close views of the base, the body of the embossing, and the finish where the seams rise to the lip. Transcribing the embossing helps us old blind guys, too. 8-)

Henderson,_Nevada-3139887487_455cf966c8_d.jpg

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay guys, I'll put more photos up, trying to show what you asked about.

Also, for Mackaydon, the words at the top of that bottle say "R.H. Macy & Co.", then there is a large five point star and finally the words "New York".

Pictures of the cap.

The other bottle say from top to bottom. Jos. A. Magnus & Co. - The Trade Mark - then "Magnus" and last "Cincinnati, O.U.S.A.

MVC-002S.JPG MVC-011S.JPG MVC-010S.JPG MVC-009S.JPG MVC-008S.JPG MVC-007S.JPG MVC-006S.JPG MVC-005S.JPG MVC-004S.JPG MVC-003S.JPG MVC-001S.JPG MVC-012S.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
"R.H. Macy & Co."

Hey Johnny,

The star ammonia bottle is a house brand from the famous New York department store, Macy's.

Value-wise, I'm gonna put each of them in the $5-10 category. More if SCA...

herald+sq+1.jpg

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"R.H. Macy & Co."

Hey Johnny,

The star ammonia bottle is a house brand from the famous New York department store, Macy's.

Value-wise, I'm gonna put each of them in the $5-10 category. More if SCA...

View attachment 876622

Thank you may friend. This is very helpful for me. I plan to sell off what I can to get my original money back. Someone owed me for a long time and could not pay. They eventually offered the bottles to cover the dept. It was not a lot of money, only a few hundred. Not knowing any other source to sell vintage bottles, I guess I will put them up on ebay.

I'll post pictures of 3 more bottles soon.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you choose to sell the Macy's bottle, you may wish to enhance your pitch (and your price) with the history of the 'star' on the bottle.
It comes from a tattoo that Mr.Macy got as a teenager when he worked on a Nantucket whaling ship, the Emily Morgan. He once was lost at sea but found a star to guide him to shore. He wore a star tattoo as a remembrance of that event; and today it may be thought of as Macy's 'success'.
Don........

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
They eventually offered the bottles to cover the dept. It was not a lot of money, only a few hundred. Not knowing any other source to sell vintage bottles, I guess I will put them up on ebay.

Hey Johnny,

You should be aware that the "market" for common bottles is in the dumper just now. SCA bottles always sell better. I'm not talking anywhere near Nuked Purple, mind you, but some of that desert sun kissed look is most salubrious to salability.

I'm not sure how long it would take in your area, maybe a year or two in maximum full sun, if you're in no rush to recoup your funds... The Citrate appears to be early machine made, and would be a swell candidate for a little Ultra Violet Experimentation.

The ole Ultra Violet will transform an otherwise ho-hum piece of magnesium rich glass.

sun-colored-lavender-sea-glass-bottle-stopper-21251798.jpg

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Johnny,

You should be aware that the "market" for common bottles is in the dumper just now. SCA bottles always sell better. I'm not talking anywhere near Nuked Purple, mind you, but some of that desert sun kissed look is most salubrious to salability.

I'm not sure how long it would take in your area, maybe a year or two in maximum full sun, if you're in no rush to recoup your funds... The Citrate appears to be early machine made, and would be a swell candidate for a little Ultra Violet Experimentation.

The ole Ultra Violet will transform an otherwise ho-hum piece of magnesium rich glass.

Thank you for this information and suggestion. It is really amazing, when your introduced into something new, you soon realize how very little you know! LOL!

I am in no hurry to sell. I considered that money gone a long time ago.

How do you set your bottles, etc. out, when you are going to leave them out for a long, long time? I am in Southern, Nevada. Lot's of sun here my friend.

I am not sure what that item is, that you posted but it sure does look amazing.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you set your bottles, etc. out, when you are going to leave them out for a long, long time? I am in Southern, Nevada. Lot's of sun here my friend.

foil2.JPG

Hey Johhny,

If I lived in Ultra Violetland, as I once did, I'd put on my tinfoil hat, and build some sorta reflector, solar cooker set up, and see if I could hasten the process. Stop if they start to go all melty. 8-)

photov.jpg

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Johhny,

If I lived in Ultra Violetland, as I once did, I'd put on my tinfoil hat, and build some sorta reflector, solar cooker set up, and see if I could hasten the process. Stop if they start to go all melty. 8-)

LMAO!!! Brother! Now that's too funny. I will assume that it is you all wrapped in tin foil.

I don't believe I will be trying the Solar Oven.

Now honestly, do you just leave them out on a table or is there some special way that you pose them?

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Leave em on a table, put them on the roof, wherever they will receive maximum sun. I'd seriously consider the tin foil route. You wanna maximize the UV...

original.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions