Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to get out for a bit today, even if I didn’t go far, even if I didn’t find much. Just to get out, you know what I mean. So I went local random field swinging. There were no cellars that I knew of here, being some distance off any decent road, and finds were pretty sparse. Sparse is what I was expected which is why I didn’t even bring along my camera.

Like most places around here there was no shortage of hot rocks to slow you down. With sweat dripping off your nose, slow is a good speed. Anyway I dug a modern penny right off the bat, then went for awhile before the pull tab, square ring, then the little tin top and bottom “ GREASLESS TOILET CREAM” hmmm…. , and a flattened round lead ball rounded out the first hour.

I figured the little tin would be the find of the day, and I was OK with that. Then came the first good find, the Ships colonies & commerce token in not too bad a shape, alright ! Now I’m wishing I had the camera. Not more than 2 minutes later a good 84 reading, and honestly I’m thinking one of these has got to be Silver, and so be it, a merc dime 1935. A very short time after that a canadian 1953 dime. Now I’m getting a tad excited, and start imagining all kinds of things. I turn around and head back 3 feet to the left. I went maybe 50 feet and get a pull tab (57) signal at 5 inches as there is almost no trash I dig, when I first saw the little shiny speck, I’m thinking it is just part of a pull tab, when I get it out of the hole it is round, and shining in the sun too good to be junk, now I think a piece of broken jewelry ? Get out the loupe I see a star in the middle, now I know what it is. Four keepers dug back to back in just 10 to 15 minutes. Including this tiny Silver.

First ever 3 cent piece for me, 1851 btw, and I imagine a very scarce find for here. What started out a just a hunt for the heck of it turned into one of the best, and most surprising of this year.

Took quite some time for the next target which was the ball knob thing after which I called it quits, and happy to retire for the day, total hunt time, almost 2 hours.

HH everyone.

Attachments

• find11-28.JPG
    find11-28.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 716
  • find11-28b.JPG
    find11-28b.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 717
  • find11-28c.JPG
    find11-28c.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 721
  • find11-28e.JPG
    find11-28e.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 719
Upvote 0
Nice. never saw a holed 3cent. :icon_thumleft:

Hey Rick, a trime is not a common find anywhere ! I was lucky to find one my first year detecting. Very nice find ! There must have been something going on at that spot ! I like the Ships Colonies and commerce token as well ! Happy to see you are getting out ! MaineRelic

Nice dig's Rick......I've got a lonely soul myself :thumbsup:

What a great hunt! Awesome find man!

:hello2:

Love those days that are just the idea to go out and swing. Then they turn into a huge day in the life . Nice stuff congrats Rob :coffee2:

That 3 cent piece is cool...and in Canada no less! Gives me hope...

Great hunt! That ship token looks to be in awesome shape. Would love to see that one cleaned up. Congrats..............Hogge :headbang:

Hey Rick, Very unusual find for Canada, but you are doing it right. AND, not just the 3 cent piece......you found
a couple of other silver coins, and...... YOu are going to go back to that spot, right? Why do you think that those
coins were found at that spot? Was it an old meeting point? Was it a crossroads type place? What do you think?
ANd, could there be other spots like this one?
Well, this should have opened up your imagination to some other potentially profitable spots to hunt. So,
Good THing in your tomorrows, Rick. :thumbsup:

High Plains Digger said:
I wonder why the competition's
"Greasy Toilet Cream"
Didn't catch on??

Was wondering if anyone would mention that piece. Too funny.

hogge said:
Great hunt! That ship token looks to be in awesome shape. Would love to see that one cleaned up. Congrats..............Hogge :headbang:

Hogge, I don't believe this one is a candidate for much cleaning, looks like it is ready to flake, and I'd be left with a blank disk.

Hikeinmts, There was nothing there that I know of, it was in the middle of a rather large field. The finds cover quite a time gap too. As it is close by I'll give it another go someday, but have a much better idea for the next dig.

Thanks also everyone else.
Getting an idea now how scarse these are to find. Even though it has no real value it sure made my day.

Rick

nice day indeed!!!!!! MR TUFF

Sorry, but you need to send it back.
Email me, and I'll give you all the pertinent info, i.e.,
where to mail it to.
Out here in Colorado.
Denver area.
Carl

You may keep the dime.

The only bad thing about hunts like that is going home! Sweet little silver, one that's on my want list for sure!

Wow finding a 3 cent in Nova Scotia is very rare :icon_thumleft:

And a 2 cent last year...Your pulling rare U.S. coins on foreign soil :notworthy:

Keep the passion high :thumbsup:

Blaze

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back