3 Days With the Boys and a Lifetime with My Best Friend

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past weekend was a whirlwind to say the least. It included a visit from Steve and Brad that included boating, camping out, digging incredible history, ocean fresh lobster over a fire pit and last but not least me getting engaged to the love of my life who I've been with for 11 years. Admittedly my finds are not that impressive but I had a lot on my mind and a whole lot to pack into the weekend. The beauty of my finds is that they included something I've always wanted to find. I know these arent rare and are no big deal to lots of you. But after finding 20+ 1812 pewters and only one brass button from this site I was dying to find another brass button there. One button in particular has always been my favorite. The 1812 Eagle on Canon Artillery button has always been the one. I think it's the coolest design for some reason. My theory is that this site has likely been hunted a lot and the easy targets were gone long ago. The pewters on the other hand are hard as hell to find. I believe between the 3 of us we have found close to 40 marked pewters there.
Before I post the finds let me talk about Brad and Steve for a minute. These are 2 great people that I'm proud to call friends. Bringing somebody to my sites was a decision I didn't take lightly. I care deeply about history and have a huge respect for these finds and their stories. If these two didn't love history and respect the finds so much they never would be invited up. But they do and that makes these visits so much fun for me. I enjoy seeing these guys pull great finds so much. Watching Brad dig a pit and hearing him say "oh Abraham" when he pulled another pewter was awesome. He's a talented hunter and is the best I've ever seen at conserving these items. My favorite memory of Steve making a find was by far the 1749 farthing that he dug at a site I've found 20+ pre 1750 coppers from. 80% of them were beautiful and the nicest was also a 1749 farthing. To bring him to a site and see him pull his nicest early condition copper was just awesome. They have seen the coppers I have found there and i really hoped another would be found by one of them. Truly a joy to watch.
The comraderie with these guys is incredible. Hanging out and laughing and eating great food by the fire pit, checking out each others finds and going out to dinner at night. My best find of the weekend was having my longtime gf say she would marry my crazy ass. We got engaged last Saturday then went to enjoy a nice dinner with Brad and Steve. It was truly an amazing weekend. Now for the finds.

My eagle on canon brass 1812 button
IMG_5811.JPG
IMG_5816.JPG
IMG_5832.JPG

The US Gen Service
IMG_5823.JPG
IMG_5827.JPG

Soldier Modified Pewter
IMG_5824.JPG

Ugly Coat Sized Script I
IMG_5826.JPG

Few Relics
IMG_5829.JPG

Group Shots of Buttons From This Site
IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_5839.JPG

Upvote 31

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your engagement. May you always find what you are looking for.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great finds, I love that eagle/cannon button...makes me drool.

Also congrats on finding a woman that will put up with a digger's shenanigans! Hope you have a long and happy life together.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're finally gonna make an honest woman out of her, congrats! That's why you've been putting in those extra hours, you had to put a down payment on a rock.

You should do a colonial themed wedding.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would much prefer Rev and 1812 to modern silver! Great job.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to get off topic, but a colonial wedding is a pretty awesome idea. But then again, I could just imagine the face the future Mrs would make if you asked.....

Abe that's quite a write-up and it had me blushing bro. The weekend was excitement fueled, and you finally ask your (much much much) much better half (and her saying yes) was the best part. Yes, we all took away snapshots of our favourite moments. One of mine was Brad sprinting to the truck to get the GPX after I found the farthing. Or the best one, the pride on your face after digging the Eagle over cannon.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494108048.327506.jpg

And the fateful last moments of the old bowls, and the coverup ideas that followed. Lol

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494108095.345564.jpg

Here's to many more years to the trip, and especially the Mrs. Her kindness and hospitality is really the reason Brad and I visit.

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another awesome dig by you northern boys, but as you said, the find of the weekend was without a doubt that engagement ring you were able to slip onto your lady's finger. I'm so happy for you Abe, and I know she must be in 7th heaven too. Now if you can just talk her into a colonial digging adventure for your honeymoon :laughing7:. Many congrats to you guys, and good going on your finds as well.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool hunt. What a great story and congratulations! :occasion14:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post- Congrats on all the awesome finds and your engagement!

-- Jeff --

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome post buddy and what a freaken awesome trip. :occasion14: We both share the same favorite button and it was great to see you finally get yours. Mine's out there in the dirt somewhere still and you know whenever I find it you're getting an "ohhh Abraham" text. haha That midnight button hill eagle pewter is really cool too... although a little rough around the edges, it's certainly different than any others we found there... and I was sure it was a numbered United States button too. I'm really glad you hopped in on the 3rd pit section with me and if you ever feel like getting a good workout, you know where to move dirt to find more of those. It's great to see all your buttons together. I bet it was hilarious to see me moving logs and running away to get my GPX after Steve dug that killer farthing... that thing was incredible.

I can't thank you enough for another hilarious and awesome trip man. And a huge thank you to the new Mrs. Abe for the sacrificial butter bowls and her hospitality to two dirty dudes showing up at the house.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations to you and your soon to be bride.
Sounds like you "3 Amigos", had a great outing.
Nice that you finally dug your first
"Eagle over Cannon, Artillery Button "
It's always nice to read about a Tnet get together.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What an awesome post buddy and what a freaken awesome trip. :occasion14: We both share the same favorite button and it was great to see you finally get yours. Mine's out there in the dirt somewhere still and you know whenever I find it you're getting an "ohhh Abraham" text. haha That midnight button hill eagle pewter is really cool too... although a little rough around the edges, it's certainly different than any others we found there... and I was sure it was a numbered United States button too. I'm really glad you hopped in on the 3rd pit section with me and if you ever feel like getting a good workout, you know where to move dirt to find more of those. It's great to see all your buttons together. I bet it was hilarious to see me moving logs and running away to get my GPX after Steve dug that killer farthing... that thing was incredible.

I can't thank you enough for another hilarious and awesome trip man. And a huge thank you to the new Mrs. Abe for the sacrificial butter bowls and her hospitality to two dirty dudes showing up at the house.

Brad, I'll bet you she doesn't know about the ill fated butter bowls;)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the engagement, good friends and finds! :occasion14: May you and your future wife have a wonderful life together! :love3:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Geez I started to wonder if they left you in a pit hole and carried on with their side of the digging weekend experience.

Abe. Congratulations on the engagement, 11yrs not bad, it took 14yrs for me.Lol
Nice assortment of finds, and its great to read your side of digging weekend. I hear you about trusting others with the sites, it's totally understandable. To have two buddies sharing the passion as you do for the finds now that's a great find in its self.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread