What's new

3 German knives and 1 clueless American

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Tonight, I had a client come by with 3 German knives for appraisal. I know nothing about knives and when I told him so, he said "well I'm sure you know someone who knows something about them." Which brings me to the 3 pics below. Any insight into these including potential value (however nominal) is greatly appreciated. If this post seems misplaced, I'm open to forum suggestions. Thanks again.
 

Attachments

  • knife1lrb.webp
    knife1lrb.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 786
  • Knife2lrb.webp
    Knife2lrb.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 806
  • knife3lrb.webp
    knife3lrb.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 811
  • rzmnum.webp
    rzmnum.webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 746
Well I love knives but I don't like Nazi stuff... which is the vintage you have. The helmet mark is from a Solingen, Germany maker, I have a blade with that mark that was made for the Spanish government but was never mounted.

The bottom dagger is called a Holbien, after daggers that appear in that artist's paintings from the 1500's. Yours is SA or "Brownshirts," and has had the Nazi eagle removed. That hurts value but shows it is probably genuine. These are reproduced a lot, but not in post WWII Germany, where it is illegal to display the swastika. That may be why yours is missing.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Mishawaka, daroofa and lucas for your terrific knowledge. Gives me a lot to go on. I'm all but certain these are legitimate based on the backstory and wear. I'll inform my client he should get them inspected all the same. :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
Here is a knife similar to #2 ....in a book I have -
 

Attachments

  • kn 004.webp
    kn 004.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 510
  • kn 003.webp
    kn 003.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 473
Upvote 0
Here's a couple , in the same book , similar to the first knife -
 

Attachments

  • kn 006.webp
    kn 006.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 467
  • kn 007.webp
    kn 007.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0
Hey ...I found knife 3 in this book too :read2: -
 

Attachments

  • kn 010.webp
    kn 010.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 435
  • kn 011.webp
    kn 011.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0
You're a miracle worker, mojjax! Great ID's. Anxious to learn what these are worth, low or high. Thanks so much for your research. More books I need in my library.
 
Upvote 0
My book doesn't have any price lists , but this is it -
 

Attachments

  • kn 013.webp
    kn 013.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 421
Upvote 0
Check this forum out. Wehrmacht-Awards.com

They have some members who have written books on Third Reich daggers etc.
 
Upvote 0
oldfireguy said:
Check this forum out. Wehrmacht-Awards.com

They have some members who have written books on Third Reich daggers etc.

Thanks, oldfire. Ffuries had also recommended that site and I've posted to it.
 
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
Hey ...I found knife 3 in this book too :read2: -

Also a Holbien, but SS, not SA. Wood is different color, blade motto different, sheath different, and has SS inlay, not SA.

Still creepy stuff, IMHO. :P
 
Upvote 0
Your SA dagger normally sells for $300 to $600 depending on condition and how bad someone wants one. The Bayonets
prices vary $100 and up. The SA is the most desirable. The Chained SS dagger is the most desired of all the 3rd reich daggers.
Yours appear to all be originals.
DG
 
Upvote 0
The first two are bayonets. The first one is for a Mauser rifle and I never thought they were worth much as I have several laying around in my junk bin. They would have to be in pristine like new condition to fetch a lot of money. The second one I don't know the origin. The third one looks like a German officer's dagger. I have seen a few, but yours is in really excellent condition and should be worth several hundred dollars unless it is a reproduction. I don't now enough about them to tell. Monty
 
Upvote 0
You'll find all your knives here:
http://www.neaca.com/Militaria.html

3rd is as stated an SA dress dagger.Seems to be in an SS scabbard though.They were black,SA were brown.Inscription is "all for Germany".
 
Upvote 0
I missed the fact the SA dagger has a black scabbard first time I looked. that makes it a NSKK dagger (the motor transport branch of the SA). Only a little rarer than brown scabbard.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom