What's new

3 RR track coins

IronSpike

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2009
Messages
3,142
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a quick 20 min. hunt this morning and got 3 more RR track coins (5 this year).

The detecting area currently under change and it will be interesting to see what will be found along this trail/patch.

Not as pretty as the Dere Street pics nor the quality finds along this patch. I like the RR track coins, but hope to be counting something else soon :wink:
 

Attachments

  • Picture 120.webp
    Picture 120.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 791
  • Picture 121.webp
    Picture 121.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 789
Upvote 0
Those are flat neat! :thumbsup:

Maybe you'll score a few RR tags and keys, or even a lock.
 
Wow-looks like you'll have some good digging!! Keep us posted on your finds.

Have a rather neat rr coin I made when I was younger (some 40 years ago!!). Just found it when I was going through some old coins I used to collect. Put a penny and dime together and you can see the results. The hardest part of doing this was finding the coin once the train ran over it!!
 

Attachments

  • Picture 123.webp
    Picture 123.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 752
RR tags, keys & locks would be cool. Old tracks yields all kinds of finds :icon_thumright:

That's a neat dime with the penny imprint :icon_sunny: You're right about finding the coins after the train passed. Maybe that's why I never were very successful finding them when younger. Neat idea to stack the coins.
 
I cannot believe the fascination that still exists today with people wanting to put money on the tracks. Are people really that bored? I see it quite a bit (working for the RR). Recently I was working at night in a large switching yard when i noticed a truck pull up to the track and a girl gets out and puts something on the rail. Then she runs back to the truck and leaves. I had a pretty good idea what she was up to, but decided to climb down and take a look anyway before blindly running something over. Finding a dime over a nickel on the rail, i scooped them up and left a quarter in their place. We climbed back up in the cab of the loco a good distance away and watched for a few minutes. Sure enough, a few minutes later the truck returned. The girl gets out, runs to the track, picks up the quarter and looks at it for what seems to be forever. She walks back to the truck with her arms in the air and they leave. Pays to do dumb things, I guess. ;D JJ
 
dogcaught said:
I cannot believe the fascination that still exists today with people wanting to put money on the tracks. Are people really that bored? I see it quite a bit (working for the RR). Recently I was working at night in a large switching yard when i noticed a truck pull up to the track and a girl gets out and puts something on the rail. Then she runs back to the truck and leaves. I had a pretty good idea what she was up to, but decided to climb down and take a look anyway before blindly running something over. Finding a dime over a nickel on the rail, i scooped them up and left a quarter in their place. We climbed back up in the cab of the loco a good distance away and watched for a few minutes. Sure enough, a few minutes later the truck returned. The girl gets out, runs to the track, picks up the quarter and looks at it for what seems to be forever. She walks back to the truck with her arms in the air and they leave. Pays to do dumb things, I guess. ;D JJ

Now THAT is funny!!! ;D I would of loved to have that on film. Great gag Dogcaught. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-


IP,
Very nice finds. Keep at it. How are you enjoying this wonderful NC heat? :'(
-MM-
 
I like that one dogcaught ;D Hey a quarter for a nickel & dime is a nice return. To this day she still can't explain what happened :laughing7:

Morning hunts best in this NC heat. Michaelangelo and I hunted a little after work :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: 4 more flats and still counting :D A few RR spikes and an eagle bottle cap (my second). A small hammer what is it?

Next time you come by GSO swing by. Surely hot spots will appear along this trail :hello:
 

Attachments

  • Picture 126.webp
    Picture 126.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 490
We have a scuba diver in our club, and one day he was diving where walleyes are regularly caught. He had found several lures, in the fishing area (he was looking for the 2lb. lead weights) that the fishermen use because of the current. Someone came early and cast their line, he saw it coming down into the water and thought, ( I don't fish) so why not have some fun. He tied 3 lures to the guys submerged line and gave it a yank. I would have loved to be there when the guy was trying to figure out how the fish tied 3 more lures to his line :laughing9: :laughing9: ;D ::) :o........NGE
 
:laughing7: I need to try the scuba diving hunts.They sound like a lot of fun ;D Imagine the situation if he somehow got hooked while setting the prank :D
 
allen said:
looks like a great area to detect !

The area is changing quickly and this phase of the trail will be about 1 mile long going through some interesting areas with great potential. The actual digging is made easier by the machinery. Now it would be nice if it wasn't so hot outside :icon_sunny:
 

Attachments

  • Picture 132.webp
    Picture 132.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 133.webp
    Picture 133.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 295
dogcaught said:
I cannot believe the fascination that still exists today with people wanting to put money on the tracks. Are people really that bored? I see it quite a bit (working for the RR). Recently I was working at night in a large switching yard when i noticed a truck pull up to the track and a girl gets out and puts something on the rail. Then she runs back to the truck and leaves. I had a pretty good idea what she was up to, but decided to climb down and take a look anyway before blindly running something over. Finding a dime over a nickel on the rail, i scooped them up and left a quarter in their place. We climbed back up in the cab of the loco a good distance away and watched for a few minutes. Sure enough, a few minutes later the truck returned. The girl gets out, runs to the track, picks up the quarter and looks at it for what seems to be forever. She walks back to the truck with her arms in the air and they leave. Pays to do dumb things, I guess. ;D JJ

Cheaper than C4? ;D I'm sure a lot of it has to do with parents, and more importantly grandparents passing down the tradition. At one time, in some areas, that was the one of the only entertainment kids may have had.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom