3rd visit to Liberty Cap site.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Went back to the Lib Cap site. Pulled buttons again today. First appears to be a two piece (front is completely blown out) that has two holes (intentionally placed?). The next button has not back marks and missing a shank, front is not much better. Next is a 1940-1941 Virginia Chauffeur license. Pretty nice. Coming out of the whole a big green patina thing my heart skipped a beat! Last find is a very small silver? "Plated" button with what looks like three feathers? on the backside above the word "Plated".

Any info (age) would be great!

Happy Hunting

-Hunter
IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

Upvote 9
The button with the two holes appears to be a "blow hole" button, (mid 1700's?) They soldered the front & back together & had to have the holes to vent the heat, otherwise it would blow the solder out.
Nice finds!

Iowa Dale

Last edited:
Excellent. That's awesome. Learn something new every day. Looked up previous TNET posts and of course there is a thread dedicated to people showing their blowhole collections haha. This coupled with the Liberty Cap i found literally 10 feet away makes me think I need to make a fourth visit!

Thanks again.

I believe the “PLATED” button has a crown above the word. The crown would signify a British made button. Imported from Britain. The word Plated refers to the silver or gold plating that would be put on the front of the button. That button is early 1800s. Nice finds!!

Congrats on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back