Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fellow had removed some dirt from an old house cellar for more head room and wanted me to check over the dirt which was now on the front yard, spread out fairly thin. Sure I said.
Found a few bits of scrap, only one modern coin, and 4 oldies. Two are British, one Halifax, Nova Scotia and one totally worn smooth. I didn't get to keep anything, but probably made a friend while giving him the bug. He said "this is like christmas not knowing what you are going to get."

Attachments

• IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 919
Upvote 0

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
great day, Rick!
would love to see some more pics of those sweet coppers...

dwayne

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the Georgie! :thumbsup: Definitely a counterfeit with that profile. 1773 or 1775? The Penny is also cool too, not something you'll probably ever find again.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
He said "this is like christmas not knowing what you are going to get."

That's how I felt when I started! Also stopped buying lottery tickets because my ground winnings were worth much more. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Like the Georgie! :thumbsup: Definitely a counterfeit with that profile. 1773 or 1775? The Penny is also cool too, not something you'll probably ever find again.

Georgie's date side was quite toast.

The penny was cool, while still quite dirty I first thought NB Penny mistaking the buildings for a ship. You're probably right about finding another. Never seen one before so I looked it up, it said rare, although that word is over used to death.

http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/W.1320.001.html

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Iron Patch said:

Georgie's date side was quite toast.

The penny was cool, while still quite dirty I first thought NB Penny mistaking the buildings for a ship. You're probably right about finding another. Never seen one before so I looked it up, it said rare, although that word is over used to death.

http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/W.1320.001.html

Yeah, definitely not rare as I've had a few, and the price on the site is only £14.00. Still an interesting find though.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skelly607 said:
Nice finds! Maybe you might be able to detect the yard and keep some of them next time!

A safe bet is that has crossed my mind. There is some grass (hay) land around the place and when it is mowed.....you know the rest, except I'll take two detectors, one for me, and one for he.
There is also a very real possibility of something older there.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Skelly607 said:
Nice finds! Maybe you might be able to detect the yard and keep some of them next time!

A safe bet is that has crossed my mind. There is some grass (hay) land around the place and when it is mowed.....you know the rest, except I'll take two detectors, one for me, and one for he.
There is also a very real possibility of something older there.

The site looks like it probably dates right around the turn of the century so probably everything from mid. 1700s to 1820 to modern. My kinda place! (minus the modern) ;D

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice selection of coppers, and easy digging too. :icon_thumright:
You must of put a smile on the guys face.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
That was nice of you. Did he at least let you keep the bits of scrap and new coin? I would send him a bill for your time and services.
Chris

It was nice of him to allow you to metal detect the piles and it was also nice of you to give him the stuff, but what is the purpose of giving ALL of the coppers away?

One, you gave someone the fever and now he will be a rival out in the field (if he gets a detector). Two, you added nothing to your collection (either because you were TOO gracious or he was a jerk for wanting EVERYTHING). :icon_scratch: Lastly, these coppers will probably be stuffed into a drawer and never truly appreciated by a non-detectorist. :icon_scratch: I agree with Zeus, make him pay for your next batteries and gas money for the trip. :dontknow: Just my thoughts...

Kirk

P.S. Love the Georgie. :hello2:

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
That was nice of you. Did he at least let you keep the bits of scrap and new coin? I would send him a bill for your time and services.
Chris

It was nice of him to allow you to metal detect the piles and it was also nice of you to give him the stuff, but what is the purpose of giving ALL of the coppers away?

One, you gave someone the fever and now he will be a rival out in the field (if he gets a detector). Two, you added nothing to your collection (either because you were TOO gracious or he was a jerk for wanting EVERYTHING). :icon_scratch: Lastly, these coppers will probably be stuffed into a drawer and never truly appreciated by a non-detectorist. :icon_scratch: I agree with Zeus, make him pay for your next batteries and gas money for the trip. :dontknow: Just my thoughts...

Kirk

NO, I didn't want the scrap, or the new 10 cent piece. He did say "what do I owe you" which is payment enough in itself just to get the offer, I have done favors for people before and never got that much. I said "you owe me nothing" afterall this is my hobby not a job. Anyway he insisted, and in my mind was more than generous. To be exact 60 bucks and a personally signed copy of his book. "Sometimes" what goes around, comes around.

Kirk, I will agree with you to a certain extent about the batteries and gas, I've read numerous stories on forums about valuable rings, being returned, I don't recall any mentioning reward. That being said, I stated I may have made a friend, and that is worth more than 10 dollars worth of trinkets. What do you think my chances of going back (remember it's an old site) would be if I had demanded compensation ?

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Kirk PA said:
Chris

Kirk

NO, I didn't want the scrap, or the new 10 cent piece. He did say "what do I owe you" which is payment enough in itself just to get the offer, I have done favors for people before and never got that much. I said "you owe me nothing" afterall this is my hobby not a job. Anyway he insisted, and in my mind was more than generous. To be exact 60 bucks and a personally signed copy of his book. "Sometimes" what goes around, comes around.

Kirk, I will agree with you to a certain extent about the batteries and gas, I've read numerous stories on forums about valuable rings, being returned, I don't recall any mentioning reward. That being said, I stated I may have made a friend, and that is worth more than 10 dollars worth of trinkets. What do you think my chances of going back (remember it's an old site) would be if I had demanded compensation ?

Go back, but only if you can keep something decent. :thumbsup: Good luck! Nova Scotia is thriving with Colonial coppers, so just keep hunting hard.

Kirk :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread