4 half boxes....

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
My last four boxes have been a slow search since I've been dealing with renovations and my 12 week old baby girl (love her!!!). Skunked on the silver but got....
1 1974-D double die obverse (4 for the year, plus a fifth I cherry-picked from a mint set)
1 1980-S clad proof
1 1973-D no F
1 1978-D no FG (in great condition but was also a roll ender so is counter damaged)
1 1991-D struck through error (most likely grease)

Gotta keep pluggin away.

Happy Hunting.

Upvote 0

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
How are you so sure that the 1974D DDO's are real DDO's? Not trying to be a debbie downer but you may have confused it with machined die with DDO.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
the other day i got a 1978-D no fg also, whats up with that, i thought that was only on 1982 halves??? any info from anyone would be gr8ly appreciated! thanks, and hh!

OP
OP
M

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
The difference between a true double die and machine doubling is in the appearence of the doubling.
A true double die for the 74-D will show significant separation on the letters and date, with rounded edges and nicely split serifs, while machine doubling will always appear flat and shelf-like.
Also, the mintmark will usually (but not always) be normal for a true double die, but will usually also be doubled if it is a case of machine doubling.
All that, plus comparing mine to the cherrypickers guide photos is what leads to the confirmation. For decent pics of the mint set one you can go to CONECA's website and search in the die varieties forum. It will be posted under the same username.

As for the missing letters varieties, many of the 70's and 80's dates can be found with missing initials, this according to the cherrypickers guide and Strike it Rich With Pocket Change by Ken Potter.

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
mrbelvetron said:
The difference between a true double die and machine doubling is in the appearence of the doubling.
A true double die for the 74-D will show significant separation on the letters and date, with rounded edges and nicely split serifs, while machine doubling will always appear flat and shelf-like.
Also, the mintmark will usually (but not always) be normal for a true double die, but will usually also be doubled if it is a case of machine doubling.
All that, plus comparing mine to the cherrypickers guide photos is what leads to the confirmation. For decent pics of the mint set one you can go to CONECA's website and search in the die varieties forum. It will be posted under the same username.

As for the missing letters varieties, many of the 70's and 80's dates can be found with missing initials, this according to the cherrypickers guide and Strike it Rich With Pocket Change by Ken Potter.

I thought I was going to be the one doing the educating, but you turned me on my back :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread