4 Mid-1800s Brass relics

U

umrgolf

4 Mid-1800's Brass relics

Hi guys, I found all four of these items with the recent coin spill, either in the area or very close-by. I'd like to know exactly what they are. I can see that two are keys, but what type? The one appears to be a decorative brass anchor ??? The one with the punched numbers "B25" looks like maybe the broken top of another key?

Attachments

• IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1048.JPG
    IMG_1048.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1050.JPG
    IMG_1050.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 117
Yes one is a barrel tap valve and I think the key also may go to a tap as well

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'd like to know what a brass anchor that old (even decorative) would be doing in Central Missouri, nowhere near any rivers or oceans :laughing9:

Upvote 0
I think the anchor looking bit is part of a window latch, the second is the core of an old gas valve, and the last one looks like a gas key for a different type valve, kind of like the ones used on modern gas fireplaces. The other one I have no idea.

Upvote 0
I think the anchor looking bit is part of a window latch, the second is the core of an old gas valve, and the last one looks like a gas key for a different type valve, kind of like the ones used on modern gas fireplaces. The other one I have no idea.

I beg to differ....that is much earlier than gas........I can show you a whole bucket of em complete from 1850-1860 sites

Upvote 0
You may be right Kuger, but it just looks awfully small for a barrel tap to me. Gas lighting has been around since the late 1700 early 1800's, although I don't know when it first came to the US, and I'm not sure what the fittings looked like back then either.

Gas lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:icon_scratch: great point!Possibly I am wrong,I just know the ones I have found that look exactly the same were in places I know they didnt have gas lighting,and many are still in the bung. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
The second thing looks like a T handle to an air cock

Attachments

• air c.jpg
    air c.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0
You know,looking at it again,mine are not threaded on the end like that?

Upvote 0
Re the key I found almost an identical key in England recently. My father-in-law claimed it was a clock key, but he could be wrong. I will post a photo of it tonight.

Upvote 0

window latch makes sense :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
ticm is right. The second item is part of a spigot or small barrel tap. I have found them quite small, intact.

Upvote 0
Looks like there have been done:hello:

Upvote 0
I agree with kuger last pic is a barrel tap key.

I just found one of these "barrel tap keys" in England that looks almost identical to this one. What exactly were they used for and why do they have the two holes in the flat section? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back