$42 in nickels searched

ArkhamHouse

Aug 1, 2010
My bank has informed me that they will no longer order boxes of coin for me, citing the "huge expense". I had, over a couple of months, ordered nine boxes of nickels and two boxes of halves. I have not really challenged them on this, because I may be changing jobs shortly, and might not have occasion to frequent that branch for my normal banking business, as I do now. They did agree to let me buy bags from the coin counter, although they told me not to bother with halves, as there was a "silver coin hunter" as they put it, who dumps his coin there. I did acquire five $100 nickel boxes from my bank as a "last hurrah", I will post those results later.

At a local Wal-Mart, I was able to buy $42 dollars in rolled nickels from a bank branch inside the store.

I found:

1941-S, 1947-S, 1951-D, 1954-D (2), 1956-D, 1958-D.

The 1947-S was surprisingly nice.

Based on prior statistics, I expect to find one pre-1960 coin per one-hundred coins searched. This batch produced seven, so that is close to expectations. The 1941-S and 1956-D fill holes in the 1938-1961 album, and the 1947-S is a condition upgrade, so not bad, all in all.

Thanks to all for the great posts.

-ArkhamHouse

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one pre 1960 per $100 searched is very low. There are lots of these coins still out there. That's what makes nickels a good coin to try to complete a set of.
HH
enamel7

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
enamel7 said:
Only one pre 1960 per $100 searched is very low. There are lots of these coins still out there. That's what makes nickels a good coin to try to complete a set of.
HH
enamel7

Arkham House said 1 pre-60 per 100 coins searched not dollars. That is why I love searching nickels. I got my first CRH Buff. in my last box.

OP
OP
A

ArkhamHouse

Aug 1, 2010
Can anyone tell me how my results of one pre-1960 coin per one-hundred searched compare to the results of the CRH community? This result applies to about 450 rolls searched, with none being new or solid-date rolls.

Thanks to all and good hunting.

-Arkham House

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't usually CRH nickels, but I do save all my nickles and copper pennies from pocket change, and I just looked and yours is rather low, I've got about 10 pre-1960s per 100

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread