What's new

$450 in halves tonight

Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brazoria County, TX
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-30, X-505
I've been doing a little CRH'ing lately. Just stopping at banks every once in a while to see what they have. Mostly interested in the half dollars. Most banks have only had a few scattered in their drawer, although a few banks have had a roll or so. Out of about $30-$40 worth this week, only got about 8 or so 40%'s. Also had a whole roll of bicentennials, but not really interested in those. Should I have kept them ya think?

Stopped at a bank on the way home, and asked the teller if she had any half dollars. She said, ummm, I think I have 2 or 3, but I'll ask the other teller if she has any. A minute or so goes by, and both tellers walk up to me. One says, excuse me sir, how many 50 cent pieces are you wanting? I said, I'll take whatever you have. She started laughing and said, I doubt that because some lady brought in $260 dollars worth a while back and they are still in our vault. I said, ok, I'll take them all. She looked at me like I was from outer space. She said, ummm ALL of them, I said, yes maam. She walked back to me a minute or two later, empty handed. She goes, OK, I lied, we don't have $260 worth, we have $450 worth. I said, great then, bring out all of them, I'll take 'em. Both tellers mouth's dropped open, haha. They start bringing them out, and everyone of them are hand rolled. Not sure if that's good or bad. So I asked them, so...where did all of these come from? She said, well some old lady cashed them in and said she had been saving them up, but it was time to get rid of them. I thought, hmmm this could be interesting.

So anyway, the wife, daughter and myself went thru them tonight.
Nothing spectacular, but it was fun!

Something interesting we found, some sort of magicians coin or something. It splits in two. When you take the back off of it and flip it over, it's got some kind of spanish writing. Ever seen one of these?

Also, one of the rolls we opened was a mint roll of 1984P. Looked like they'd never seen the light of day, they were perfect. Worth saving?

9 - 40%'s
1 - 1982 S
1 - 1974D DDO (how rare is that?)
1 - 1974D magicians coin or something.
 

Attachments

  • 450 half dollars 001.webp
    450 half dollars 001.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 239
  • half dollars 40s 001.webp
    half dollars 40s 001.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 220
  • half dollars 40s 002.webp
    half dollars 40s 002.webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0
Nice finds...I have about 30 of the scotch and soda magician's coins....I am tired of them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom