Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put in 6 hours today. I'm starting to getting to know my machine a little better so that's good news. Went to a park today where I've hunted a lot and I got 3 that I missed. Hard day though lots of trash but that's part of the game that we love and obsess over. Good day IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1583.JPG

1937 D Buffalo
1938 Wheatie
1929 D Wheatie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling those 3 keepers. :occasion14: Seems like you are learning the tones and target IDs. :icon_thumright: How did you set up the detector? Did you ever do a reset?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling those 3 keepers. :occasion14: Seems like you are learning the tones and target IDs. :icon_thumright: How did you set up the detector? Did you ever do a reset?

Yes I took your advice.
55 sensitivity
15 discrimination
0 notch
3h tone
de mode

I forgot to set up the D.S.T.

I got a lot of trash. With the ATP there was a certain sound that would help you know more if it was trash or not... not that I always listened but it seems like there's no scratchy noise, if you know what I'm talking about, that might give you a hint. Unless I haven't picked up on it yet. I'm gonna keep swinging.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll luv the 5" coil!!! Easy to swing and goes DEEP !!!!!!!! Let us know what you think of the 13".

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
0 Notch or 1?
1 used to mean no notch unless they changed that.

Try to get all targets under the center of the coil with short quick side to side swipes, any of them, for the most solid and stable signals.
The better you get the more usefully information you will have.
Soil types make a difference, in great soil I could usually get most good targets pretty stable with a small range of jumping numbers from 2 directions.
On many I could get that jump down to no more than 3 numbers on the F2, if that, switching to the F70 the shear power made that number jump range larger, to about 5 numbers, but as I got practice I got them to calm down again with better manipulation.
Here in the south in much rougher soil that range is larger all the time, I get no solid stable numbers here, but I just learned new behavior to understand and compensate for that.
In both types of soil I noticed most trash, about 89-85%, did a lot more jumping from two directions than good targets.
A large range, 10 numbers or more with section jumping too and that confidence meter jumping up and down like a pogo stick.
Anything can happen out there and you never know what you are swinging over till you dig it...especially the deep stuff, but I just can't deal the trash I used to dig anymore so I set certain parameters, rules I dig by, and usually stick to them and have done pretty well telling most trash from treasure.
I don't worry about mistakes or what I miss, I just figure I will find it on another hunt on another day.

I got pretty good at this but it took many hours and after digging tons of trash and remembering common target behavior learning to do it my way...at first digging the most of everything is how you learn the fastest.

Practice makes perfect...or closer to that goal, anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
0 Notch or 1?
1 used to mean no notch unless they changed that.

Try to get all targets under the center of the coil with short quick side to side swipes, any of them, for the most solid and stable signals.
The better you get the more usefully information you will have.
Soil types make a difference, in great soil I could usually get most good targets pretty stable with a small range of jumping numbers from 2 directions.
On many I could get that jump down to no more than 3 numbers on the F2, if that, switching to the F70 the shear power made that number jump range larger, to about 5 numbers, but as I got practice I got them to calm down again with better manipulation.
Here in the south in much rougher soil that range is larger all the time, I get no solid stable numbers here, but I just learned new behavior to understand and compensate for that.
In both types of soil I noticed most trash, about 89-85%, did a lot more jumping from two directions than good targets.
A large range, 10 numbers or more with section jumping too and that confidence meter jumping up and down like a pogo stick.
Anything can happen out there and you never know what you are swinging over till you dig it...especially the deep stuff, but I just can't deal the trash I used to dig anymore so I set certain parameters, rules I dig by, and usually stick to them and have done pretty well telling most trash from treasure.
I don't worry about mistakes or what I miss, I just figure I will find it on another hunt on another day.

I got pretty good at this but it took many hours and after digging tons of trash and remembering common target behavior learning to do it my way...at first digging the most of everything is how you learn the fastest.

Practice makes perfect...or closer to that goal, anyway.

I do find that I get a lot of the ghost signals that I have to chase but when it comes to death I got a 1925 wheatie at 12 inches. How it wasn't an NDA and I have no idea I was disgusted. I have yet to find an Indian

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
A wheatie at 12"?
Well, you can get great depth in your soil which is great, your soil also seems to be a bit porous or loose which lets them sink so deep which is challenging but at least you have a tool that can reach them.
Could this site possibly have had some fill dirt piled on top of that coin?

In my soil with all the clay a very common area for even the oldest targets to hang out seems to be not much deeper than 6-8".
I have found a few 1800's coins there and 3 flat buttons that were fairly shallow and had to be 150 years old at least.

In areas where I have found some deep older wheats I have also found Indians and sometimes way shallower so keep looking and target and dig all decent coin sized targets from the mid 50's to the mid 60's for sure.

I gave you some tips about ghost signals on your other thread.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/528501-6-mores-hours-f75-today.html#post5268056

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread