4th trip to the local street tear up..Had to defend my hobby again..Some people !!!!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed out after work again to the local street tear up in my town and....................

I'm getting tired of having to defend my hobby because of some person who thinks they have to stick thier nose into what I'm doing.
Lady ( about 50 ) ask me what I was doing. I said I was looking for old coins that people lost.
She says that there not mine to find....
huh.gif
huh.gif
??
What do you mean?
Well maybe the workers lost them and they will come back for them.....
What? There 3-4 inches in the ground and they were lost a while ago.
Well you look strange doing that and is that a knife you are carrying?
Well don't be doing that here. If there lost then you shouldn't be finding them....
huh.gif
??
Mam...Don't worry to much about what I am doing...
Then she went off on a rampage....
I told she was the strange one by telling what she had said....Go into your house and worry about yourself cause I'm not doing anything against the law... I live around here and I pay my taxes for this land right here and I will continue to do what I'm doing and I will move on when I'm done.
She went into her house all pissed off....
I'm tired of people making it there business to what I'm doing.

It turned out pretty good again.
Found some goodies.
First off I got a 1959D Washington Quarter
A bunch of wheat pennies ( 12 in all )
Then a 1926 merc followed by a 1920 merc about 10 minutes later.
Some clad and again some junk....

Thanks for looking and at least I didn't have to deal with police again this time.
IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0554.JPG

Upvote 15

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a recently abandoned football field, and a 20's girl approached me and told me I could not be there. The field belonged to the local Catholic college, and she threatened to call the police. I told her I was not doing any harm or bothering her. Sure enough the cops showed up and asked me if I had written permission, agreed that the people are a PITA and asked me to leave.

The girl's mother runs a business from a building next to the field, rented from the local Diocese, and she was sent out by the mother.

So I stopped in the store, bought a candy bar and mentioned that I was the guy that was out metal detecting. After stumbling a bit, she stated that the local fathers complain about her dogs running around the property. So this poor bitter woman just could not stand the idea of somebody enjoying themselves, because HER landlord had complained about HER dogs. Some people......

Oh by the way, the store is:

For the Birds
1040 N Broadway
De Pere, WI 54115
(920) 336-9525

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tell her if no one else loves you jesus does -- and tell her to go home and bake some cookies for those who don't have a home if she needs something to do .

Detect History

Feb 5, 2013
GI Joe headquarters
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had this old bird come up to me in a local park.

"Are you allowed to be here"
"Sure I am"
"I think what you are doing is illegal"

And I watched her doggy finish his squat and she walked away.

I scooped it with my shovel and tossed it in the woods.

Some people's kids. Lol

Nice job on the saves. Great coins

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Even tho she was annoying I loved your re-cap of the dialogue you had with her and lots of other good ones on this thread too. I usually keep me digger knife prominently visible when I want to avoid chit chat with curious onlookers. :laughing7:

Last edited:

TempUserName

Mar 31, 2013
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Beep Beep Dig Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
93 year old mercury dime...yep my Great Grandfather will be over right away to reclaim his lost dime.

I had that happen to me while detecting. I lady came out of her house and asked what I was doing I told her I was trying to find coins along the side walk. She told me I didn't have the right to be removing something that someone else had lost. I told her that she should go back across the street to her house and quit harassing me. She began cussing me and threatened to hit me with a remote phone she was carrying. I told her she should call the police and see did. When they arrived I arrested her and she was transported to jail by the officers for disorderly conduct, She didn't know that I was a Deputy sheriff. I enjoyed doing that.

Another mean cop hauling an innocent concerned citizen to jail. NOT. She should have also had charges added for misuse of Police Resources.

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eh that is why I'm so hesitant to do Sidewalks and stuff, prefer the woods myself ;). Nice finds, love the mercs.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Good for you......some people don't realize that they don't "own" everything they see......HH

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh by the way, the store is:

For the Birds
1040 N Broadway
De Pere, WI 54115

Sitting in Suamico at the moment!

Ever hit voyager? Always wondered as all the fairs and history in that park.

I'm currently working on a couple Green Bay sights. Two are farms that were well established but gone by the 60s. Multiple houses on one location. I've also been trying to locate some of the long forgotten properties outside of DePere. With the history around Green Bay and DePere there has to be some high quality locations long covered by simple farm field. Might also have access to a large tract near where Nicolet landed in 1634. How awesome would it be to find one of the early camps? Keeps me motivated

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds, yep I hate the people that get off on telling others what to do especially when your not hurting nobody or anything. HH

Power Guy

Apr 2, 2013
Camino, CA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey someone hid their money there and was comming back to get it. you should have known better. LOL (do you think she was born that way or it was acquired)?
If I were you I would ask if you could detect around her home. Maybe she stores all of her jewelry outside...

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I prefer fields and woodland with permission. No one to worry about! I got yelled at by old ladies when I started, asked if I was spraying chemicals, all kinds of stuff at parks. However most people were interested and nice, but still enough reason to move on.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
I'm sure you also pay the taxes to pay the taxes on the money that that lady makes. And I'm sure you're being saddled with a great big pension with benefits too so of course she reserves the right to be nosy. She probably expects you to pay off the state debt and underfunded pensions with your findings.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tell her if no one else loves you jesus does -- and tell her to go home and bake some cookies for those who don't have a home if she needs something to do .

this made my day lol

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people think they own the whole neighborhood. Its good that you set her straight. Nice hunt!

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I had that happen to me while detecting. I lady came out of her house and asked what I was doing I told her I was trying to find coins along the side walk. She told me I didn't have the right to be removing something that someone else had lost. I told her that she should go back across the street to her house and quit harassing me. She began cussing me and threatened to hit me with a remote phone she was carrying. I told her she should call the police and see did. When they arrived I arrested her and she was transported to jail by the officers for disorderly conduct, She didn't know that I was a Deputy sheriff. I enjoyed doing that.

Like a surprise ending to a great novel! Thanks!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some women at a certain age have massive "whore moan all" (the time) issues -- during these times nothing a man is doing is right (which is why many men during that time develop "hobbies" that keep them gone from the house for days on end like hunting and fishing and yes, metal detecting trips) once these crazy women drive all men in their life away from them, then they are forced to start targeting any man they can find to moan at--even if your not married to them , or dating them or even know them at all. -- a nice polite "go by a large vibrator to get rid of your problem and leave me alone " will normally make them go away rapidly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread