What's new

5 Coppers in One Yard! Including My First Liberty Cap Cent!

PA Sleuth

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2014
Messages
260
Reaction score
708
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the day off Monday, I headed to a familiar spot. I pulled out an IHP, a suspender clip, a hotel key phob, and an Eagle button. The IHP turned out to be a semi key date 1878, but is in rough shape. The hotel key phob reads Mineral Springs Hotel. A little research revealed a hotel in Easton, PA with the same name. Unfortunately, this hotel burned in the last several years. There are plenty of YouTube clips of the fire. The Eagle button is the size of a quarter and still retains some of the original gold gilt. I am told that because it has an iron back it is a civilian button. Cool nevertheless in my mind.

I then proceeded to a spot I have had my eye on for quite some time. I saw a woman in the yard, gathered the guts to ask permission, which turned out to be easier than expected. She dated the house around 1815. My first signal was a modern quarter. The rest of the afternoon was nothing but awesomeness. First came an 1843 Braided Hair, then an 1816 Matron Head. The next coin was a NJ Copper, followed by my first Liberty Cap LC! Thanks to Don in NJ, these coins were identified as an 1788 Maris 67-V and a 1794 with the Head of a 1793 S-20. I found a cool pocket watch, two plain flat buttons, and the oddest find I think I have ever found, what I believe to be a Classic Head LC with a bent 1874 IHP permanently melted to each other.

Best day I have had in a while. Thanks for looking.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048650.899621.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048688.734266.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048702.257404.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048716.412955.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048726.936676.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048756.452056.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048770.058005.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048780.146476.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048797.889600.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048811.695802.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048820.000138.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048830.472973.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457048841.178107.webp
 
Upvote 80
Lucky,lucky,lucky! What a terrific hunt with those variety of in good shape coppers!
 
Awesome relic and coin hunt! I love the old coppers, especially cap liberty. :occasion14:
 
Wow nice digs man you had agreat hunt there !congratulations hh gl
 
Great hunt there Sleuth. Days like that don't happen too often.
 
Epic! Thanks for sharing it all
 
WOW!!!! What a yard!!!! Excellent spot. Certainly more for ya and "untouched". :occasion14:
 
WOW!! What an awesome hunt !! Congrats on the great finds, you've got to be stoked, HH
 
Well Done Sleuth , you scored some fine lookin' Early US copper .
:occasion14:
dawg
 
Wow LC's & Coppers ....I have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than finding one of those around here.

AWESOME!! Finds Tho.

I'm more interested in the Button; Civilian For real (in my dreams it would be a Confederate Navy 'Local'.)
but
Ill go with Civilian tho .

Davers
 
Man that is awesome! I wouldn't leave, she might tell a family member and they might get mad and talk her out of letting you detect again. When I get permission I hunt it hard and as long as I can, I also give the owner coins if they choose and I share what I have found so they can see the history.
Good Luck and keep at it.
 
Wow LC's & Coppers ....I have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than finding one of those around here.

AWESOME!! Finds Tho.

I'm more interested in the Button; Civilian For real (in my dreams it would be a Confederate Navy 'Local'.)
but
Ill go with Civilian tho .

Davers

I am thrilled with the button as well. Not upset at all that it is civilian, a button with an Eagle on it is cool in my book.
 
Sounds like an awesome spot. The two coins melted together is such a cool find. Certainly don't see that every day.
 
Nice group of finds Still waiting for my Liberty Cap. At first I thought those two coppers were just fused together when when I look at the back they look soldered together I noticed the flow pattern looks like silver solder. Then I realized there must have been a dime in the fire with them and it totally melted silver soldering them together. Pretty awesome. I will bet if you clean up the blob of metal on the back holding them together it will be silver.

You may be right, the back side does have a sliver shine, would make sense. The more I look at the LC, the more it starts to look like another braided hair. That would make more sense as to why they would be found together.

Awesome hunt PA Sleuth :thumbsup: I bet it was a ton of fun finding those coppers. The fused one is really cool. I think you guys are right about the silver... Melting point of copper 1,984°F, melting point of silver 1,763°F... so entirely possible for a dime to melt, leaving the ihp and lc mostly intact. That's really unique and definitely an oddity.
 
Great hunt! It'll be a tough one to beat but I have a feeling you'll you'll have more memorable hunts
 
Wow...now that is an epic hunt!! You found more stuff there than I did all of last year!! Congrats!!
 
Wow...now that is an epic hunt!! You found more stuff there than I did all of last year!! Congrats!!

Thank you, I am fortunate to live in an area rich in history.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom