5 hunters, 4 great scores, plus a little.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Lara, au4me, Moe, Dan and I decided to take advantage of a beautiful day to have a last minute hunt. What a perfect day. Not expecting much we hit a field down by the river.

We are pinging along and au4me starts screaming he has found pottery and glass shards, Lara and I have to go over to help him out or he will definitely start pouting ;). Moe gets a god signal and I had to stay to see it, some sort of tag (tool tag) 436 on it, nice. Au is getting antsy so off I go to help him out, lots of old pottery. Au pops out a nice button shank still intact says "????? Gilt" on the back, nice. Then he screams jewelery! Very nice Lady's pin. He is now whining saying there has to be old coins here, ;) we need to date the site. I remind him Dan found a 1983 coin? :D Sure enough Country Girl gets a coin........at first we thought it was an 1885 INDIAN HEAD, nope 1865, in great shape! A first for me and I was thrilled!

Moe finds a nickle, but it's in real bad shape, we are thinking V nickle?

We are finding musket balls, Dan one, then Lara, they are actually older than a musket ball, help me out here Scott? I found a fired musket ball that hit a solid target? Pretty mangled.

So au4me (Scott) starts in again, there has to be another Indian head here, at the same time Lara screams INDIAN HEAD! We all just started laughing. Nice 1902 Indian. Yeah Lara!

We had a ball! Tyler went with us and ran back and forth checking out the finds and reporting back to the others.

Thanks for the great day!!!!!!!!
Kim

P.S I did fid some rusty crustys :D

Attachments

• hunt with lara 003.JPG
    hunt with lara 003.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,100
  • hunt with lara 005.JPG
    hunt with lara 005.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • hunt with lara 006.JPG
    hunt with lara 006.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,086
  • hunt with lara 008.JPG
    hunt with lara 008.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • hunt with lara 004.JPG
    hunt with lara 004.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,078
  • hunt with lara 009.JPG
    hunt with lara 009.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • hunt with lara 010.JPG
    hunt with lara 010.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,069
Upvote 0
Better shot of the finds. Oh yeah as we were getting ready to go Lara finds the early 1800's bell, sweet Lara! She also found the piece of the pipe pictured. She did great keeping those eyes on the ground!

Attachments

• hunt with lara 001.JPG
    hunt with lara 001.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,057
Some great finds CG. Sounds like a fun time.
I think the back of your button reads "Double Gilt". Early to mid 1800's would be my guess.
Any way to clean it up a bit, and post a picture of the back mark?
Congrats,
MM

Great day! Thanks Kim!! (BTW - her IH came out of the ground looking beautiful!)
LL

MM,
The button does say "Double Gilt" :D

Excellent outing for you all! The finds were the bonus (along with the great weather) Congrats Kim on your 1865 Indianhead, they are always nice to find in decent shape!
Sounds like theire might be a Seated Liberty in that field!! Maybe next time. :)

Don

laralucine said:
MM,
The button does say "Double Gilt" :D

Here's some info off the web:
"The vast majority of "plain-faced" one-piece buttons of this particular type (with a "Gilt" backmark) were manufactured for use on civilian clothing ...between approximately 1790 and 1840. This is why they are found (in significant quantities) even around remote churches, house-yards, and farm-fields where military personnel are unlikely to have ever set foot. Large quantities of this type button were made in England and imported to the US in the very early 1800s ...until American button-making companies got "well-established" enough to produce large quantities on their own.

In the 1840s these plain-faced one-piece type buttons declined enormously in popularity because much more "ornate" two-piece buttons had become available at a price an ordinary working-class family (including farmers) could easily afford."

Nice saves! Ya'll were definitely on the trail of an old homesite!
Mike

Way to go Country Girl!!!! Congratulations on scoring that Indian.

Thanks for writing up the story of the days events and for the wonderful pictures.
What no group shot? :)

What's this about Scott whining, I can't believe that, there's no whining in metal detecting, crying maybe but no whining.

Congratulations out to Lara, Scott, Moe and Dan for their finds too.

Sounds like it was a great time had by all.

HH,
JCH

Wow you guys had a great day ! So cool that you all got to hunt together and sounds like you are hitting a great old site. Hope you pull more out of there.Nice finds for you all!

Looks like some very nice finds and sounds like it was a good time, congrats to all of you.

Great hunt for just plinking around an old field by the river. Some really nice finds! Way to go!!

nice job on the IH to you all

HH DDEII

Thanks, guys! Johnny, we missed you :) And don't worry, there was no whining or crying that I can recall.

I was really surprised, Scott kept saying we had to find a coin to date the site :o/ . You have to understand, these guys are PROS! Scott can dig a target with one fell swoop, I can dig a nail in about 6-7 minutes :-\? I'm not sure what was more fun......watching these guys or finding the Indian? Thanks for showing me the ropes!

Thanks for the info on the button!

We should have done a group shot, I would have been the one with the Band Aid :D, second hole, had to have that beer can ;D

Lara...did he not whine about being the only one without a coin? He finds the coolest pin, and a great button :D. Scott is great to hunt with, he really can tell you what is going to be found and where. :)

Thanks again!

Hey CG...looks like you and the group had a great day. Glad it all worked out for ya and you had some great finds...even though there seemed to be a lot of "whining". ::)

I would imagine you'll be going back there to see if there are any more of those 1885...er 1865 pennies...or even some gold?

BTW...what did you fix in the way of grub for that energetic bunch! ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back