5 Silver, 6 Indian Heads, 17 Wheats in a Public School Yard

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to take a few hours for myself this afternoon and do some digging.

Was driving around and came across an older looking school with a decent sized yard. It looks like the kind of school that everybody would rush to as soon as they purchased their detector. It's in the middle of Indianapolis and these schools just keep giving up the good stuff! I will go back again because I went through it quickly and only dug the obvious coin signals. Next trip there will be for iffy signals and maybe some gold.

Here are the finds:

1908 Barber Quarter (1st one ever)
1904 & 1906 Barber Dimes
1943 Mercury Dime
Sterling Silver Charm with enamel inlay
6 Indian Heads (1880, 1880, 1898, 1901, 1903, 1908)
17 Wheats that will be tossed into the wheat penny jar

Also dug about $3 in clad I think.

I think I will just keep on hitting Indianapolis schools since they are so productive. Before I moved here you couldn't find anything at any park or school in the area. I'm still shocked at what I've been finding lately in such obvious places. I guess people just haven't hit these spots as hard as Muncie was hit.

07-10-08.JPG

07-10-08-2.JPG

07-10-08-3.JPG

07-10-08-4.JPG

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
No field cleaning was done. Just saw silver and tossed it in the pouch and didn't look at anything until after they got a bath when I got home.

Any scratches are from digging them out from underneath rocks, bricks, and gravel.

Which explains why the scratches are only around the area where the date is on the dimes...

Cheers!

-Buck

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's about a third of my silver total for the year, good going? Does that little pendant/earring happen to say "Siam" on it? Looks like a Pre-Thailand piece. Real nice stuff there!
Carl

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
bscofield6 said:
No field cleaning was done. Just saw silver and tossed it in the pouch and didn't look at anything until after they got a bath when I got home.

Any scratches are from digging them out from underneath rocks, bricks, and gravel.

Which explains why the scratches are only around the area where the date is on the dimes...

Cheers!

-Buck

Be as much of an a$$ as you like, but all I did was look at the silver rim and toss it into my pocket.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure you can buy a coin like that on ebay, but there is just something about rescuing one from the ground that is priceless to a tresure hunter. I get excited everytime I dig an old coin, the value it would sell for means nothing to me!!!

awesome day you had, a big congrats man!!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
sure you can buy a coin like that on ebay, but there is just something about rescuing one from the ground that is priceless to a tresure hunter. I get excited everytime I dig an old coin, the value it would sell for means nothing to me!!!

My thoughts exactly bud! It's about the thrill of it to me. I could care less about the value of my finds.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just like the indian I dug today, on ebay I could get it for $2.00 but who cares, I found a coin that was dropped 100 years ago, it is like a link to history, makes you think that you are the first person to touch that coin in 100 years, way cool to me!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome day, congrats!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice day out! We all dream of something like that. I did about as well in hitting a small park that has been overlooked and unused since 1941.

just like the indian I dug today, on ebay I could get it for $2.00 but who cares, I found a coin that was dropped 100 years ago, it is like a link to history, makes you think that you are the first person to touch that coin in 100 years, way cool to me!

I got the same feeling when I found a broken grooved ax. I figured it was about 4000 years old. I sat right down on the ground and had that enormity of time sink in gradually. Mine was the first hand to touch it since it was lost. Turned out to be dated at 6500 years old. Maybe I could get $25 for it in broken condition, so what.

SamsSon

Jul 11, 2008
There's no getting around it, location is the biggest thing.

Everybody seems to be looking for that magic detector.

That Indian is a real prize!

kid

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just out of curiosity how deep are you finding those indian heads at? I have never found one and i know of plenty of old schools around that i would like to detect but i'm not sure of the depth to do so. let me know if you don't mind.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:

That is what it is all about. Down here in Mississippi I don't think back then there were that many people that carried that kind of coinage around. I have found a couple of wheats and a silver war nickel. I am so wanting to dig a mercury dime. I dug a seated liberty half dime, but some old timer must have had all his money around his neck, because the one i found had a hole in it. Awesome finds man. I would not have been able to sleep for a week if I found a school with that in the ground!!

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
I like coins alot and I love the thrill of digging them but.. I think another part of the thrill for me is that slim chance that I could someday pull a big fat engagement ring out of the ground and sell it. I think thats pretty cool. Heck, I have only been detecting for 2 days now and I was thrilled when I found a toy car that said 1981 on it.... ;D

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds! Kudos! :thumbsup:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CarsonJoe said:
just out of curiosity how deep are you finding those indian heads at? I have never found one and i know of plenty of old schools around that i would like to detect but i'm not sure of the depth to do so. let me know if you don't mind.
I have dug 3 this year that were in the 2-3 inch range, one was on top the ground in a cornfield, and one I found friday was between 6-7 inches deep at an old farmhouse.

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
Man! Do you have a time machine or something? Those are some nice finds for this day and age!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread