5 Silver, 6 Indian Heads, 17 Wheats in a Public School Yard

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to take a few hours for myself this afternoon and do some digging.

Was driving around and came across an older looking school with a decent sized yard. It looks like the kind of school that everybody would rush to as soon as they purchased their detector. It's in the middle of Indianapolis and these schools just keep giving up the good stuff! I will go back again because I went through it quickly and only dug the obvious coin signals. Next trip there will be for iffy signals and maybe some gold.

Here are the finds:

1908 Barber Quarter (1st one ever)
1904 & 1906 Barber Dimes
1943 Mercury Dime
Sterling Silver Charm with enamel inlay
6 Indian Heads (1880, 1880, 1898, 1901, 1903, 1908)
17 Wheats that will be tossed into the wheat penny jar

Also dug about $3 in clad I think.

I think I will just keep on hitting Indianapolis schools since they are so productive. Before I moved here you couldn't find anything at any park or school in the area. I'm still shocked at what I've been finding lately in such obvious places. I guess people just haven't hit these spots as hard as Muncie was hit.

07-10-08.JPG

07-10-08-2.JPG

07-10-08-3.JPG

07-10-08-4.JPG

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe not so many people hunt over there.

Great finds, killer hunting.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, that's an awesome hunt!! Nice job on all your finds!

I'd love to hunt a few old schools around my area, but they are all closed up with no trespassing signs on them. It's a sign of the times over here. Used to be able to go to any schoolyard and detect it. Thank God we have lots of parks here that are still producing the silver for me!

Congrats again!

CAPTN SE
Dan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers!

They're a little scratched-up from the field cleaning, but who cares, right?

-Buckleboy

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OH MY :o

Some people hunt for years before having such a great hunt..keep pounding the place and you'll find more there!

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
how much are coins like that worth? cuz i keep looking coins like that up on ebay and it doesnt look like any of them are selling for squat... do they have to be in perfect condition or something? I keep seeing them all for like $2-$10

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
What a great spot to hunt. I would say there is alot more there. Congrats.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Nice silvers!

They're a little scratched-up from the field cleaning, but who cares, right?

-Buckleboy

No field cleaning was done. Just saw silver and tossed it in the pouch and didn't look at anything until after they got a bath when I got home.

Any scratches are from digging them out from underneath rocks, bricks, and gravel.

But thanks for being a prick about it.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spisswgt said:
how much are coins like that worth? cuz i keep looking coins like that up on ebay and it doesnt look like any of them are selling for squat... do they have to be in perfect condition or something? I keep seeing them all for like $2-$10

They are old, but they are pretty common dates and not too valuable. I just enjoy finding the old silver in any condition, though.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Maybe not so many people hunt over there.

Great finds, killer hunting.

Keep @ it and HH!!

I know that there have been several clubs over the years in the area, but I really don't know much else since I am brand new to this area. I've been told by many locals that the area has been pounded pretty hard, but from what I've seen so far it hasn't been hit nearly as hard as where I moved from. I never would have thought there would still be a silver dollar and quarter in a public place in this area.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kimsdad said:
Great finds! That one hunt would equal a great year of hunting for me... Congrats :thumbsup:

How deep were you finding them?

There was nothing exceptionally deep here to be honest. About 6-8" on the silver and the first indian head was about 9" or so. I am thinking that there are some deep ones left that I will be trying to get on my return trip once I slow down. Today I was just trying to cover the ground quickly to get the easy silver.

You are in Chicago. You should be able to find plenty of oldies there! :)

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow---Congrats on all those nice finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Great hunt

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spisswgt said:

I responded to this same question up above.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread