556 lbs of lead sold @ 50 cents a lb...also sold....

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just a couple of side notes, not all shells are brass, some are copper... some places will except them, when other want nothing to do with them because of the gun powder that may still be in them. Also, if you have the time you can sell your used sinkers on e-B*Y... they sell well. but takes time to list, and it can be exspensive to send, unless you use the "if it fits" it ships boxes that are available. I save it all, at the end of the season, I sort it out and sometimes I even find some silver, that I was thinking, it may be something else. I had a few brass rings in a pile, and after I cleaned up one of them last year, it turned out to be an 18K Gold ring that was heavily crusted... That was a double x tra nice find... Kinda like finding TREASURE twice.....Merry Christmas

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area, there isnt the E-bay option, but it seems like the auction worked out ok. Im not expecting to get the price of gold for the sinkers, just get something out of all the digging I have done, although every target is practice.
Some people talk of melting down the scrap lead, but unless you are actually making something, like dive weights or other sinkers; its pretty much a waste of time and your health, since the price you get, will be the same, whether a big piece or a dozen small pieces. When I was a kid, I used to melt down the lead, on the kitchen stove, wonder how much poison I spread around our home.

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I melted many lbs of lead over the stove when I was a kid also. We even melted the old bullets that we would find in the ground... Until they took off and went though the kitchen wall one time... That put a damper on that... We used to melt all the lead figures and tootsie toys along with the lead toys from Cracker Jacks. Wish I had them all now. They certainly would be worth a few bucks.... Back then they were considered junk.....

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will ask one more time, what is pot metal and zink, and how do you tell what a metal is ( other than brass and copper which are easy to identify)

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the sinkers are more valuable as they are or as scrap? I have tons of them and would like to get rid of them for the most I can.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to sell your sinkers, at the flea market or yard sale, or where ever there are fishermen. Mine were all in perfect shape, just like new, so no problem selling. I dont know why they wouldnt sell, even if dinged up, since its weight that counts, not the condition.

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP what are those lead pipe looking things that are shaped like soda cans? I just found 1 and am very courious as to what it is??

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130120_234829.png
    ForumRunner_20130120_234829.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 111

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Andre - that is a section of old lead plumbing pipe used before it was banned. Many plumbers have stashes of this behind their shops because it is a decent quality lead from what i am told, and they get it for free when updating peoples plumbing lines.

Willy - This is Zinc

This is Pot Metal

This is how to identify Pot Metal/Zinc.

in short, Zinc is an element, Pot Metal is an Alloy. Both are used in cheap castings, have a low boiling point and fast cooling time. Both can be identified by their grey color and likeness to poor quality cast iron.

hope this helps =)

Trent

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some zinc looks like cast alumnium when broken even brass does to some times 'good stainless in hardly magnetic at all& nickel "pure" is hard to id for me .there is probably some kind of [scratch test " but dont know right now:icon_scratch: Id-ing alloys can be a real b%^&*. also I try to talk to the owner of the scrap dealear to get top $ becaouse I seperate & clean my metal's the best I can. sorry 4 the spelling ',in a rush & MY O.C.D. is bad today .:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Davers

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would look for local gun owners websites or shooting clubs and see if you can sell the lead to handloaders. My buddy melts down wheel weights for making bullets from molds, and I'm sure you could mess with lead sinkers and make quality bullets. I would give it a "shot" ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions