556 lbs of lead sold @ 50 cents a lb...also sold....

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well I finaly went through all my lead that I have been hoarding the past 3 seasons.....Needless to say, I had quite a bit more than I needed... I had 8- 5 gallon buckets, that were way to heavy for this old guy to be picking up... Being a charter fisherman, I found myself keeping all the good sinkers, I felt no need of selling. Also saves me time on melting and making up new ones for next years trips. I ended up saving close to a 100 lbs for myself... While I was going through the lead, I also went through this seasons Brass & Copper too. I did ok with it for just this season.... Sold it all today and walked away with $278.00 for the lead and $69.80 for the Brass & Copper..... for a Toatal of $347.80....not bad for 3 seasons of lead and 1 season of Brass & Copper.... so keep everything, it pays well!.....also if you are keeping track, as of now I had saved close to 656 lbs of lead in 3 seasons of detecting.... and I still ahve another month for this year to start a new batch, now that's crazy digging....wish it were GOLD.....:) Lead (2).JPG Lead (3).JPG Lead (4).JPG Lead (9).JPG

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep....it's a win/win scenario....cleaning up your sites and a bit of loot for your troubles.

Regards + HH

Bill

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aww man, I need to find someone near me that is raking in the lead and buy a 5 gallon bucket off of them. I can melt that down for reloading handgun ammo.

DaveandBlitz

Greenie
Oct 12, 2012
E Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, V3, Tesoro Lobo supertrack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass and copper... does it need to be separated or sold together? I find a lot of spent cartridges and have been wondering if it was worth tossing in a bucket for recycling.

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on. Where do you sell lead? We have a couple recycle centers near my house but they only take cans and bottles.

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save everything! Here is my system. After every hunt, i empty my pouch into the boxes. They are individually labeled, steel, cast iron, aluminum, brass, copper, zinc, pot metal, and shotgun shell headstamps(for Turtlefoot) , when one gets full, i replace it. When I get ready, i take it all. I usually make out well.
IMAG0465.jpg

shedseeker

Oct 28, 2012
ny
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster GT , Garrett ace 250 , Garrett AT PRO
Garrett AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i save everything .... im a plumber so thats also adds to my pile !!!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the yellow pages or internet under scrap dealers....that's the place to go.

Regards + HH

Bill

Right on. Where do you sell lead? We have a couple recycle centers near my house but they only take cans and bottles.

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Brass and copper... does it need to be separated or sold together? I find a lot of spent cartridges and have been wondering if it was worth tossing in a bucket for recycling.
It doesn't have to be seperated, but they pay more per lb if it isn't mixed.....

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been saving brass and copper. Haven't cashed in yet. I think I need to start saving lead now!

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice! Don't forget to look for wheel weights.
Wheel weights are ZINK mixed with small amounts of lead... Therefore they are still sellable but not considdered CLEAN lead.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
wow great post Whydah,
I have stock piled my scrap for 5 years. I also have tons of lead and copper. I need to get to the scrap yard. It will also give me some much needed room in the basement :) Grat post.
g

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the lead come from fishing holes? Are all shells brass? I usually deposit all this stuff in the trash - sounds like I better start keeping it!!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been saving all my lead sinkers, and didnt really have an idea of what to do with them. Stopped by a fishing store, but it seemed the sinkers they were selling, were not very expensive, so then I thought to take them to the auction house. I just took a pound or so, to test the waters, but got about $3 for them, so thats what I will do from now on. Will just dump a pound or two at a time, since no one is going to buy 50 lbs of lead sinkers, I dont think.

Probably can do the same with junk jewelry, auction house. I find a lot of stainless rings that are in good shape, but not worth anything as scrap. So next auction, will take all my stainless, and see what happens.

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Save everything! Here is my system. After every hunt, i empty my pouch into the boxes. They are individually labeled, steel, cast iron, aluminum, brass, copper, zinc, pot metal, and shotgun shell headstamps(for Turtlefoot) , when one gets full, i replace it. When I get ready, i take it all. I usually make out well.
View attachment 705987
What is Zinc and pot metal and how do you know what kind of metal it is?

NYScrap

Feb 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the lead come from fishing holes? Are all shells brass? I usually deposit all this stuff in the trash - sounds like I better start keeping it!!

Most shells are brass, some are steel (the difference is pretty easy to see what with the color). Many scrap yards -- will NOT -- take shells because of the risk of trace amounts of gun powder, or unfired bullets being mixed in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread