What's new

6/14/07 The Return Of The Attack Of The Son Of The Variety Box (Lite Version)

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
103
Golden Thread
0
Ok peeps. I got 2 skunk boxes in a row, then last week provided a single 1966 JFK.
Yesterday I got 3 1968 Kennedy's and 2 1 Oz. Rounds of pure silver.
See Here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,91706.0.html

Today, was a definite improvement over last week.

Here is the main haul. From Left to Right, Top To Bottom:

90%
(1) 1940 Walker (I love these...such works of art they are...)
(7) 1964 Kennedy Halves

40%
(1) 1966
(3) 1967
(1) 1968
(3) 1969
(1) 1967 PROOF! And amazingly enough, it is a Philadelphia half. How bizarre. And the bust of JFK does not appear to be exactly as frosty as my other proofs. Nonetheless, it is a serious mirror finish, so no doubt in my mind of what it is.

Non-Silver and other Odds and Ends
(1) Non-Silver (dangit! >:( ) 1976-S Bicentennial Proof (my first)
(1) 2002-D
(1) 2006-P
(1) Gold Plated 1974 Half. This one does not have 1960-1980 stamped into the obverse. It has 1960-1985!
6ahhoo4.jpg


Pretty interesting, but I am not done yet:

The above was from my first run through, just looking at the edges.

Once I went through them individually, I found the following:
(1) 1964 Kennedy I had missed looking only at the edges
(1) Seriously Misaligned Die strike on the obverse of a 1988-P Half
(1) Bicentennial Half that is so worn it is ridiculous.

Then I found 2 black halves, and a half with a dark tape mark on the upper left of the obverse (included for laffs).
Here is the group image:

4qza7lt.jpg


Here is the misaligned die 1988-P:

Obverse
5ywxlj7.jpg


Normal Reverse
54l5ljb.jpg


Closeup of the 1960-1985 Gold Half:
4zune5w.jpg


Obverse Of The Really Worn Bicentennial:
4yyw9z9.jpg


Reverse of the same:
6gyhkqa.jpg


That's all I got today. When I got out of the bank, I checked the ends of the rolls. I saw nothing. So I picked a roll at random, and was rewarded with a fairly nice 1969, so I at least knew I would not be skunked this week.

Thanks for looking everyone! On with the show!!!
;D
 
Upvote 0
They didn't make Proof coins in 1967, though it may be from a SMS (Special Mint Set).

Either way nice variety of finds.
 
Re: 6/14/07 The Return Of The Attack Of The Son Of The Variety Box (Lite Version

GMan00001 said:
They didn't make Proof coins in 1967, though it may be from a SMS (Special Mint Set).

Either way nice variety of finds.

Great finds MM. But for the record, picking up what gman has said, there were no proof sets made for years '65 - '67; inclusive.

Rather, the Mint issued "Special Mint Sets", which contained specially prepared coins that were not quite up to Proof standards.

Still a nice find, but thought you'd want the specifics.
 
Nice results, Falcon. Glad you checked more than just the edges and found that 64. I did the same thing a while back and almost missed a Bennie. That poor bicentennial is soooo worn. hahaha. Thanks for the post and good luck next time!
 
Nice finds MF. You are so right about the Walkers. I just love that design too. That misaligned 88-P is definitely a keeper. WTG!

Glad to hear/see things are looking up from last week.
 
Re: 6/14/07 The Return Of The Attack Of The Son Of The Variety Box (Lite Version

You guys are right. I do want specifics, so it must be from one of those mint sets.
That would by why President Jack is not Frosty. The background though is identical to a proof mirror finish.

The variety in the Kennedy series is amazing.

Life is like a box o' half dollars. You never know what you are gonna find!
 
Re: 6/14/07 The Return Of The Attack Of The Son Of The Variety Box (Lite Version

MalteseFalcon said:
Life is like a box o' half dollars. You never know what you are gonna find!

That's funny MF.....but so true!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom