6 boxes of nickels

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
After dumping two boxes of skunky halves I had to deposit $400 back into my savings. I usually would have just picked up some dimes but how long would the search last? I wanted to have something to search for the weekend and then through Christmas. I decided to just go big on nickels. I had only searched one box and then $80 in loose rolled nickels before. I found a nice buffalo in the loose rolls and two buffaloes and a war in the box. I was hoping for similar averages so I picked up six boxes.

image-2880973138.jpg
I'm through the first 5 boxes. The box on the bottom right is a bank wrapped box which never produces anything for any denomination. I will try to swap it out on Christmas Eve.
Box 1: dateless buff
Box 2: skunk
Box 3: 2 war nicks
Box 4: skunk
Box 5: skunk
These are pretty depressing results. I'm hopping that the last box will pick up the slack. I was hoping to get at least 4 buffs and war nicks.

Upvote 0
After dumping two boxes of skunky halves I had to deposit $400 back into my savings. I usually would have just picked up some dimes but how long would the search last? I wanted to have something to search for the weekend and then through Christmas. I decided to just go big on nickels. I had only searched one box and then $80 in loose rolled nickels before. I found a nice buffalo in the loose rolls and two buffaloes and a war in the box. I was hoping for similar averages so I picked up six boxes.

View attachment 715706
I'm through the first 5 boxes. The box on the bottom right is a bank wrapped box which never produces anything for any denomination. I will try to swap it out on Christmas Eve.
Box 1: dateless buff
Box 2: skunk
Box 3: 2 war nicks
Box 4: skunk
Box 5: skunk
These are pretty depressing results. I'm hopping that the last box will pick up the slack. I was hoping to get at least 4 buffs and war nicks.

You aren't even going to try the other box?

You aren't even going to try the other box?

There is no use in trying it in my opinion. Either the re-rolling machine culls the silver or they are just all dumps. Most likely both. I doesn't seem very likely to me that they would have 50 rolls of nickels turned in by the average customer. There is a chance that I would still find a lot of Buffaloes if it is not all dumps but I still think I would be better off swapping it for another box. HH

There is no use in trying it in my opinion. Either the re-rolling machine culls the silver or they are just all dumps. Most likely both. I doesn't seem very likely to me that they would have 50 rolls of nickels turned in by the average customer. There is a chance that I would still find a lot of Buffaloes if it is not all dumps but I still think I would be better off swapping it for another box. HH

how many boxes have you tried that are like that? I know if it were me (and I know it's not me, so don't think I'm telling you what to do, lol) I would still search the box unless I knew for a fact that it was a dump. That's just me though. You must live in an area that's hit pretty hard for nickels though if you only got that from your boxes. :(

how many boxes have you tried that are like that? I know if it were me (and I know it's not me, so don't think I'm telling you what to do, lol) I would still search the box unless I knew for a fact that it was a dump. That's just me though. You must live in an area that's hit pretty hard for nickels though if you only got that from your boxes. :(

I'm hoping that it was just a bad draw. I have never had a nickel box like that but I have had a few loose rolls of nickels and a few boxes of halves and dimes.

Silver nicks are the same weight. They would beed a comparator to cull silver nickles.

Swapped it out for a box from the feds this morning and... another skunk.

I got 5 silver war nicks in a box yesterday. Dont give up and keep looking for that epic box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back