600Kg of Roman coins found

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Construction workers have found 600kg of ancient Roman coins while carrying out routine work on water pipes in southern Spain.
600 Kg worth several Million Euros!

16kqkhv.jpg

Roman coins found by Spanish workers

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I wonder if Italy will ask Spain to give em back? Just a thought?

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking seriously, as an Italian, that Spain return all the monuments, mosaics, coins, statues etc. Roman in the geography of Spain in the same way that Spain claimed their foreign shipwrecks.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like this just went political.

Well I am sure if the high and mighty Spanish Minster for historical artifacts was asked for it to be returned to Italy then she would do it her self that same day.

Not really, that unprofessional cry baby would claim it was their history mined for their ore. Just as she pleaded to to our agency to go after a certain American group that never did anything wrong.

I hope the construction workers kept a few for them selves.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like this just went political.

Well I am sure if the high and mighty Spanish Minster for historical artifacts was asked for it to be returned to Italy then she would do it her self that same day.

Not really, that unprofessional cry baby would claim it was their history mined for their ore. Just as she pleaded to to our agency to go after a certain American group that never did anything wrong.

I hope the construction workers kept a few for them selves.

In Spain who finds and declares (as required by law), automatically becomes suspicious by law enforcement authorities.
You are entitled to a prize (finder's right) if the finding is casual. The problem is assess what was found.
Cultural authorities priced is very low, when the actual value is very high.
So, no one says, and if they can not say anything, but museums are empty.
Find and not declare is a crime.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Spain who finds and declares (as required by law), automatically becomes suspicious by law enforcement authorities.
You are entitled to a prize (finder's right) if the finding is casual. The problem is assess what was found.

I told you:

Workmen unearth massive 600kg cache of ancient Roman coins thought to be worth millions - Mirror Online

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes I am well aware of how Spain operates, they petition our agency far to often citing Cultural Property when they are trying to steal artifacts not found in their country or waters.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking seriously, as an Italian, that Spain return all the monuments, mosaics, coins, statues etc. Roman in the geography of Spain in the same way that Spain claimed their foreign shipwrecks.
Hola Vox or is it Chow
Didn't the Romans enslave the locals when they took over Hispania , and worked them in the Galica gold mines to built the Roman empire.
700 year visit till the Visigoths kicked them out ! And Marcus Aurelius was your best General his parents were locals .
Who pays who ???
Claudio I have contacts I can give you a one way ticket back to Rome :tongue3:

Last edited:

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claudio , museums empty ??? Just recently was at the Madrid historical museum with unbelievable artifacts " Roman " Gold everywhere !
Best Roman Helmet I've ever seen , look new . you could spend days in there.
The Wealth of History in Spain is untouchable .

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Vox or is it Chow
Didn't the Romans enslave the locals when they took over Hispania , and worked them in the Galica gold mines to built the Roman empire.
700 year visit till the Visigoths kicked them out ! And Marcus Aurelius was your best General his parents were locals .
Who pays who ???
Claudio I have contacts I can give you a one way ticket back to Rome :tongue3:

The issue is very controversial. Many of the shipwrecks that today, Spain wants to be his property, were seized from their rightful owners. Until the arrival of Bourbons in Spain (1700), this country did not have a proper navy. They embargoed the best ships. The problem is that, in many cases, the crown (the state) did not meet the embargo conditions (pay the owners). So, now, should be examined case by case, what are truly the ships that Spain can claim sovereign immunity, as was the case of the Mercedes with the supposed treasure recovered by Odyssey in 2007, and I say supposed because no I am entirely convinced about its true origin.
About museums, many are full because the artifacts seized or abducted, ended in them, as in the case of the Mercedes treasure. Significantly, the Underwater Archaeology Museum of Cadiz, is called by the Cádiz people el museo de la na '' (the museum of nowhere).
Kindly offered on the ticket, I'm fine in Seville, where I returned because my ancestors founded a place called Italica, a few kilometers from this city.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue is very controversial. Many of the shipwrecks that today, Spain wants to be his property, were seized from their rightful owners. Until the arrival of Bourbons in Spain (1700), this country did not have a proper navy. They embargoed the best ships. The problem is that, in many cases, the crown (the state) did not meet the embargo conditions (pay the owners). So, now, should be examined case by case, what are truly the ships that Spain can claim sovereign immunity, as was the case of the Mercedes with the supposed treasure recovered by Odyssey in 2007, and I say supposed because no I am entirely convinced about its true origin.
About museums, many are full because the artifacts seized or abducted, ended in them, as in the case of the Mercedes treasure. Significantly, the Underwater Archaeology Museum of Cadiz, is called by the Cádiz people el museo de la na '' (the museum of nowhere).
Kindly offered on the ticket, I'm fine in Seville, where I returned because my ancestors founded a place called Italica, a few kilometers from this city.

I'll be back next year Claudio maybe we can get together.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
S

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aside from the ownership arguments, this is a very cool find.

Coins-in-broken-amphora-crop-Jose-Manuel-Vidal-EPA.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread