7-13-09 - Firsts for me!

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
First off, I must apologize if this turns into a book. But I am supper stoked!

Sharpshooter and I met up at his location to get a hunt in before the heat got too bad and you could fry eggs on the dirt.
Sharpshooter went out looking for another hot spot at this site and I stayed in the shade under some trees that have produced for him in the past. I started doing circles around this one tree making each circle wider. I got a solid trash signal and as I moved the coil away I got a faint, and repeatable, signal that was right next to the trash. I didn’t even move the coil an 1/8 of an inch. VDI numbers were jumping from high 80’s to 94. But on the MXT300 the confidence blocks were big and solid. So started to dig…

I got down about 3-4 inches and decided to check the dirt form the hole (no plug because the ground is dry and that all it did was come out in small chunks) and the hole again to check the reading I had at first. Same readings. I called Sharpshooter over :help: and had him check it to make sure I was not losing my mind :icon_scratch: (which has been known to happen from time to time). He gets a high pitch hit on one side of the hole and says it’s deep and starts to dig (he helps to dig for me at time because of my knee problems).

All of a sudden he yells there it is and your gonna be happy! He hands me a 1936 Merc. :headbang:

Now why the long story?? Well, this is many first’s for me. This is the first silver coin that I have ever dug and my first merc.

I don’t have a macro on my camera so no close ups. But on the back of the merc on the “torch” it has the vertical lines still there. So the merc is in really good shape.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• moto_0008.jpg
    moto_0008.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 550
  • moto_0007.jpg
    moto_0007.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 542
  • moto_0006.jpg
    moto_0006.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 540

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250
Which coil were you using on your MXT when you found the merc? A little bit on your settings would be interesting too.

Nice find in anyones book!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sharpshooter, Lokkenpa....

I cant believe your still pulling silver out there. I thought we about covered most of it. My hat is off to you guys! Keep up the good work!! Everyone likes silver pics!

OP
OP
lokkenpa

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
Thanks for your replies!

Which coil were you using on your MXT when you found the merc? A little bit on your settings would be interesting too.

Coil I used was the 5.3 eclipse, preset 9, and just a bit less then the 2nd preset for discrimination.

After my first outing with Sharpshooter I was a discouraged about what I was finding. So I came home and started re-reading the book MXT - EDGE chapter 6. It muddied the waters some more but I decided to put into practice some of the suggestions. And I found a Merc. So I must have done something right.

Thanks again for reading and your comments!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and I wish you many more. I feel for y'all down there in the heat. I went down to see my dad last week. When I left the house here it was 40 degrees. That afternoon in the parking lot at Atwoods in Clinton it was 108. Good luck and more silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread