Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, you heard that right. I've known for a long time thar be gold in these hills, however, that said, it's been very tough. Maryland has gold many places, and few places at the same time. My kids first let me know about it over 30 years ago but every time I go I get about half a gram or less, if I'm lucky. One day a few years ago I found a few nuggets. Not huge, but still. There are several veins here, one is directly under the house. A friend and I once got a cement mixer and took some of the clay dirt we dozed out from under the house that came off bedrock and even found gold there. BUT...not like yesterday and today. The stream had been rearranged a few years ago by the guberment, yeah, that's spelled right, and I didn't find any. Most days its a few specs a bucket full. So yesterday I went down with the Deus and it snooped out some iron and then got this wonky signal. I dug down and had put the sand/gravel on the bank, couldn't find anything. So whipped out the pinpointer and it screamed at me. That first glint of gold was like, ok, this isn't real, right? The pinpointer sniffed out the 2nd big nugget and then I had problems, so back up to the house, got the big bucket and brought out as much material as possible from this small area. It took till today to pan it all out. Twice. And the pocket in the creek seems to be cleaned out for now. I suppose it was that last hard rain we had. I have never found this much gold even when I went to NC and to Georgia some years back. So, I guess it collected in that one bend behind that one rock for several years now since the dozing.

It's just over 8 grams, which is about $500.00. IMG_2887.JPG

The dime was found a few weeks ago in VA.

Upvote 52
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know its almost impossible to get this much gold in Maryland.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! That looks waaaay bigger than the tiny glacial gold I find here in Missouri.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 grams is over 1/4 ounce. Very unusual for East Coast. You can find this out west, but not around here anymore, except maybe once in a lifetime.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smokey - Nice haul! Just curious, what do you do with it?

I once read a series of letters from a guy near Culpeper at the turn of the 20th C. He had a gold mine there. It was strip mining. He collected gold to sell to the US mint. At that time the minimum amount they would buy was 1 ounce. Apparently he went a few times to sell his gold, but never "struck it rich". He complained that it was a lot of work for not a lot of pay.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep it with my small mineral collection.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going Smokey! That is quite a lot of gold there!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice specimen size, especially for Maryland and not associated with quartz.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found a nice little "pay streak". I have done similar here in AZ, flash floods can help cause them to form and replenish. I only wish it would rain anything here, this drought is the worst I've ever seen. Congrats on the Nugs & Flakes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread