Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, you heard that right. I've known for a long time thar be gold in these hills, however, that said, it's been very tough. Maryland has gold many places, and few places at the same time. My kids first let me know about it over 30 years ago but every time I go I get about half a gram or less, if I'm lucky. One day a few years ago I found a few nuggets. Not huge, but still. There are several veins here, one is directly under the house. A friend and I once got a cement mixer and took some of the clay dirt we dozed out from under the house that came off bedrock and even found gold there. BUT...not like yesterday and today. The stream had been rearranged a few years ago by the guberment, yeah, that's spelled right, and I didn't find any. Most days its a few specs a bucket full. So yesterday I went down with the Deus and it snooped out some iron and then got this wonky signal. I dug down and had put the sand/gravel on the bank, couldn't find anything. So whipped out the pinpointer and it screamed at me. That first glint of gold was like, ok, this isn't real, right? The pinpointer sniffed out the 2nd big nugget and then I had problems, so back up to the house, got the big bucket and brought out as much material as possible from this small area. It took till today to pan it all out. Twice. And the pocket in the creek seems to be cleaned out for now. I suppose it was that last hard rain we had. I have never found this much gold even when I went to NC and to Georgia some years back. So, I guess it collected in that one bend behind that one rock for several years now since the dozing.

It's just over 8 grams, which is about $500.00. IMG_2887.JPG

The dime was found a few weeks ago in VA.

Upvote 52

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey got gold fever....thats a great haul smokey...nice work !! Wonder whats under the house ??

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your nice dime and striking gold in the creek..Well Done Indeed !!!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could, uhhh, make a living doing that Smokey.

Nice way to work the problem, and enjoy the rewards.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a damn nice haul! Dime looks sweet too!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak Bart, there must be a good vein under the house, and no, the house is staying. There is a big outcrop of rock on my property, and one on an adjacent property this gold had to come out of as it is upstream from the house. Not moving the house. And the cement mixer thing is not worth it. I guarantee it.

Peruna, my back hurts SO bad!!!! I probably have ruined the weekend!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there was a guy with a giant 40foot deep hole in his basement on t-net last year....remember that thread GoDeep ??

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He had the gold fever!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember it. Can't remember what happened in the end. I'm into Indian artifact, beach and gold panning season, but the gold panning is just too rough anymore. Ask my back.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Now I need another flood. Most days even the sluice will only find a few flecks. I think this was a once in a lifetime thing.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! Great post :headbang: Awesome find... The gold!! BTW awesome capped bust!!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great work Smokey. I swear, you folks in the east have it all! Spanish, Colonial, Civil War, and GOLD! If I was younger, I'd move out there in a heartbeat. Nothing here but scrap iron and corn! Gary

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smoke's your gonna set off a gold rush there Smoky.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock, one of the smaller nuggets from a couple or years back was silver color. So methinks, mercury? I had it sent to a lab and it was 50% gold, 40% silver (first known silver from my county), and 10% mercury. Apparently the 49ers panned this creek once upon a time ago. I guess they missed some. Nobody pans around here anymore, and between you and me it's awfully hard to do.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tamrock, one of the smaller nuggets from a couple or years back was silver color. So methinks, mercury? I had it sent to a lab and it was 50% gold, 40% silver (first known silver from my county), and 10% mercury. Apparently the 49ers panned this creek once upon a time ago. I guess they missed some. Nobody pans around here anymore, and between you and me it's awfully hard to do.

Congrats on the gold Smokey!
In reading the historical writings on the different gold rushes of British Columbia there was many accounts of this strange heavy silvery metal that would clog up the sluice boxes.
It was determined years later that was probably platinum.
We hunted a fair share of ghost town/ mining locations but never found a lick of the PM.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
way cool to find gold under your house. love that haul from the creek too. wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread