8-year-old picks up rock at schoolyard — and finds 3,700-year-old artifact in Norway

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
BY ASPEN PFLUGHOEFT MAY 04, 2023 1:11 PM

An 8-year-old girl playing at school in Vestland picked up nice-looking rock and found Stone Age artifact, archaeologists said. Photo from Vestland County Municipality While playing at her schoolyard in Norway, an 8-year-old girl liked the look of a small rock — and unintentionally picked up a 3,700-year-old artifact. Elise found the nice-looking rock among some large boulders at her school in Vestland, the Vestland County Municipality said in a May 2 news release.
Norway_RELIC1.jpg

She showed the stone to her teachers who immediately realized it was not an ordinary stone. The rocky area of the schoolyard where Elise was playing. Photo from Vestland County Municipality The teachers contacted local archaeological authorities to take a closer look, the release said. Archaeologist Louise Bjerre Petersen identified the object as a Stone Age dagger from about 3,700 years ago.
Norway_RELIC2.jpg

He described it as a unique and very rare find.
Norway_RELIC3.jpg

Photos show the dagger is about 5 inches long. It has a gray-brown coloring, distinct sharpened edges and looks like it has been struck repeatedly. The Stone Age dagger found by Elise. Photo from Vestland County Municipality Archaeologists excavated the area where the dagger was found, but uncovered no other traces of the Stone Age, the release said.
Norway_RELIC4.jpg

The stone dagger was given to the University Museum in Bergen for safekeeping, the release said. Archaeologists excavate part of the schoolyard. Photo from Vestland County Municipality Vestland is a region along the northwestern coast of Norway, about 265 miles northwest of Oslo.

SOURCE https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/article275057861.html#storylink=cpy

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s cool except that she didn’t get to keep it. But who knows maybe she didn’t want it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across that article last night. Definitely an advanced stone age artifact.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual, the gov swoops in and takes the little girls find. I’m glad I learned very early to keep my mouth shut!
I wish I had, the very first full arrowhead I ever found was in college, in summer field school. We were on a river moving between sites and I reached down and pulled a beautiful black arrowhead out of the edge of the water, I swear it had 10 notches but faulty memory aside probably like a huffaker or Cahokia kind of point. I was excited to show I was a good archaeologist so I showed the guide/park caretaker and our teacher, the guide pocketed it and I never saw it again… sure would be nice to have my first ever point, all I had to do was keep my mouth shut.

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had, the very first full arrowhead I ever found was in college, in summer field school. We were on a river moving between sites and I reached down and pulled a beautiful black arrowhead out of the edge of the water, I swear it had 10 notches but faulty memory aside probably like a huffaker or Cahokia kind of point. I was excited to show I was a good archaeologist so I showed the guide/park caretaker and our teacher, the guide pocketed it and I never saw it again… sure would be nice to have my first ever point, all I had to do was keep my mouth shut.

That's sorry right there....at least in my book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread