89th War Metal

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello,

Here's a war badge I found this spring and I haven't been able to find much conclusive proof on it's exact distinction and/or use.

It has a tank that appears to be WW1 vintage on it and says "89" on top. It is very well made and has two pins on back. There was one round and flat reeded pin tie down on it when I found it, but it disinagrated when I tried to pull it off. There is a small shield shape on the back but I cannot see or read any writing on it to ID the "maker". It appears to have had some red paint or plating around the top and on the back that has mostly come off?

I found it on an old homestead built in the 1860's. Within a ten foot radius from this , I also found a 1907 V nickel, a 1902 IH 1-cent, and a 1945 1-cent.

I would appreciate if anyone could provide some more info about this interesting item.

I added a third photo with a ruler for scale. It's about 1-1/2" long and the tank part is about 1/2" wide.

Tanks a lot!!
BDoo

Attachments

• War Badge Front.jpg
    War Badge Front.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 347
  • War Badge Back.jpg
    War Badge Back.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 343
  • Tank Badge.jpg
    Tank Badge.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 300

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Boobydoo said:
Hello,

Here's a war badge I found this spring and I haven't been able to find much conclusive proof on it's exact distinction and/or use.

It has a tank that appears to be WW1 vintage on it and says "89" on top. It is very well made and has two pins on back. There was one round and flat reeded pin tie down on it when I found it, but it disinagrated when I tried to pull it off. There is a small shield shape on the back but I cannot see or read any writing on it to ID the "maker". It appears to have had some red paint or plating around the top and on the back that has mostly come off?

I found it on an old homestead built in the 1860's. Within a ten foot radius from this , I also found a 1907 V nickel, a 1902 IH 1-cent, and a 1945 1-cent.

I would appreciate if anyone could provide some more info about this interesting item.

Tanks a lot!!
BDoo

Bdoo,

Nice pin, looks like a WWI tank doesn't it. Here is a site with a whole bunch of military pins. http://military.usptgear.com/Page.asp?QID={F0B9CF0C-1746-4326-860F-AE4E6ECF54A9}&nWebPage=Category&Prod=Pins&Branch=Army

This is the 89th division patch (FYI). Does the pin look WWI vintage, or do you think it could have been made later? Either way Great find!!

John

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Thanks blurr

Yes, since the 89th didn't exist in WW1 , that is logical.
I will look through your link and hopefully find some info.
I've looked through a bunch and haven't found anything yet, but maybe yours will have it.

Thanks!
BDoo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
blurr said:
Nice pin, looks like a WWI tank doesn't it. Here is a site with a whole bunch of military pins. http://military.usptgear.com/Page.asp?QID={F0B9CF0C-1746-4326-860F-AE4E6ECF54A9}&nWebPage=Category&Prod=Pins&Branch=Army

This is the 89th division patch (FYI). Does the pin look WWI vintage, or do you think it could have been made later? Either way Great find!!

John

Well, I looked through the site you gave and didn't see anything like it. Maybe this is, I believe, because the 89th cavalry doesn't exist anymore and that site was for current pins I think.

Thanks for helping!

SMiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hey, BD!

I asked my friend John Conway, a Manion's Auctions appraiser who specializes in 20th century militaria, to check it out. Here's his reply:

"That's a WWII Armor officer's collar device. It apparently had a 3rd number on it - a high numbered unit might have been an amphibious tractor battalion but I don't see any reference to something in the 89X range in the WWII Order of Battle. Maybe a state unit from the immediate post-war unit. Generally speaking, numbered armor officer's devices are pretty scarce and fairly desirable. If it had the third number, I would say $35-50; as is, maybe $20."

If you'll look closely, you'll see a couple of tiny reddish dots after the "89," where the third numeral was attached.

Hope this helps...
PBK

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Thanks a lot PBK!!
Awesome work there.

OK, I agree for sure. I have studied this again after your info and it appears there was some additional attachments, a number and maybe more.

Here's a zoomed scan of the area.
Notice the red dot on the tank right in the center of the zoomed picture. There is a smooth area just above that dot on the tank like something protruded down onto the tank from above. Then directly above that, just to the right of the two red dots is a "V" shaped area of brown rust color, then one or two more red dots just to the right of that. So I think there was a additional number and maybe more??

I have done some additional research and still have nothing like it.

Well, I know exactly where I found this, within 3 feet, so a trip back there to find the additional number and ? could be worth about $30 if I can find it.

Thanks my friend! Very exciting!

I will also research the land owners as it's a vacant lot now and maybe work that avenue too for ID and even returning it if possible.

Happy smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• War Badge Glue Dots.jpg
    War Badge Glue Dots.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
PBK said:
Hey, BD!

I asked my friend John Conway, a Manion's Auctions appraiser who specializes in 20th century militaria, to check it out. Here's his reply:

"That's a WWII Armor officer's collar device. It apparently had a 3rd number on it - a high numbered unit might have been an amphibious tractor battalion but I don't see any reference to something in the 89X range in the WWII Order of Battle. Maybe a state unit from the immediate post-war unit. Generally speaking, numbered armor officer's devices are pretty scarce and fairly desirable. If it had the third number, I would say $35-50; as is, maybe $20."

If you'll look closely, you'll see a couple of tiny reddish dots after the "89," where the third numeral was attached.

Hope this helps...
PBK

Once again, good job PBK!

John

Upvote 0

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
the W in the circle is called the rolling W and its the unit patch of the 89th regional readiness comand out of Wichita Kansas ......its a component of the army reserves and still exists today

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread