.38 revolver

Nail Digger

Jun 30, 2006
Kentucky, USA
Can anyone id this old double-action .38 revolver? There is no manufacturer stamp, only "38 S. & W. CTGE." on the barrel and serial no. 302770 on the frame. It's a little rough, with most of the blueing gone and some minor pitting on one side of the barrel and one side of the cylinder. Probably stored improperly, laying on this side for years. Some kind of action problem also, as half the time the hammer fails to fall, locked up. It had a lot of use at one time, as the checkering on the grip is very worn. Friends were going to throw it out when moving, so, being the packrat that I am, I grabbed it.

Attachments

• handgununid1.jpg
    handgununid1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 809
  • handgununid4.jpg
    handgununid4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 703
  • handgununid3.jpg
    handgununid3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 733
  • handgununid2.jpg
    handgununid2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 725

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'm not a serious "gun-guy", so you likely know more than myself. Sure, I own a few, but what American doesn't? I tried a bit of researching on this and repeatedly came across the description: "H & R Arms Company "DEFENDER 38" 5-shot revolver". This is not my guess at an ID, but rather a point to be considered in researching, as they were very similar. The values seemed to be in the $150- $225 range for what I saw "out there"... but none were exact, so take that with a grain of salt. At any rate, I'm quite certain you made a good choice to take it.

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Think what Nhbenz said about it being a
Harrington & Richardson product could be
correct.

Strange no name on it.
Have you taken off the handgrips and checked
for any marking there?

H&R used that type of ejecting plate on their
revolvers.

They were the last US company offering a
break open revolver.

have a good un.............

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a few like that. Mine are made by IVER JOHNSON. I had to look at them a few times to find the name . It's in small print on the top of the barrel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nail Digger

Jun 30, 2006
Kentucky, USA
I haven't had a chance to research the suggestions given by you guys yet. I did, however, remember that I had a book of pages (reprints) from old gun catalogs from 1880-1920. Most of the guns of this type, but by different gunmakers, seemed very similar in appearance. The biggest difference I saw was in the grip decoration. Two guns, in the Montgomery Ward 1895 catalog, had grips that were identical to the ones on this gun. They were Hopkins & Allen and Thames Arms Co. The Smith & Wessons had a more elongated "star" in the center, where the screw goes. Plus, all the Smith & Wessons and Colts had their logo in the circle at the top. Notice these have center "stars" that measure pretty much equally in both directions. Also, there is no logo in the circle at the top, only a field of dots. Unfortunately, there were no old H & Rs or Iver Johnsons in the catalog pages, so I'll still do the research on these.

I did remove the grips, as Shermanville suggested. There was only another copy of the serial no. on the frame there. I did find where someone had scratched the number "4610" on the backside of one of the grips. The "6" may also be a "C". Hard to tell.

Attachments

• handgununid7.jpg
    handgununid7.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 572
  • handgununid6.jpg
    handgununid6.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 710
  • handgununid5.jpg
    handgununid5.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
So glad you saved it form being thrown out.
Even if it's not in good shooting condition
you can still admire the workmanship and history it may have seen.

The Blueing being gone mostly fom one side suggests it was carried in a holster and well used.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a copy of a Smith and Wesson but unless it has the S&W logo it is not a true Smith and Wesson. There was any numbers of copies of the S&W Revolver made, usually cheap and not quite as well made. I have one hanging on my wall as a curio and room decoratin here at the house.As for the finish, mine was nickel plated at one time but much has worn off. Monty

Attachments

• DSC00508.JPG
    DSC00508.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 865
  • DSC00508.JPG
    DSC00508.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 644
Upvote 0

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure is a Smith and Wesons calper 38.
Send an e-mail to S&W with the serial number, and they will tell you the model and the exact date of production.
Digman.

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d said:
I've got a few like that. Mine are made by IVER JOHNSON. I had to look at them a few times to find the name . It's in small print on the top of the barrel.
Ater looking in the box where my 2 IVER JOHNSONS were, I noticed another pistol of mine that I forgot about. It is one similiar to yours, but it says FOR 32 SMITH& WESSON CTGS SERIAL #319409 and it says PATENTED under the serial #. It also says SECRET SERVICE SPECIAL on one side of the barrel. My IVER JONSONS have owl heads on the grips. I don't know how to post pictures, so hopefully I described it well enough.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread