What's new

9/8/7 short Sat morn road trip.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, woke up early Sat morning to do a short road trip to pick up the $800+ bag of halves I had identified the previous weekend but couldn't find enough halves to finish filling the bag before they closed. Along the way I stopped by a 14 other banks. It would have been more, but the bank I stopped at to cash in rejects couldn't figure out how to reset their self serve coin machine after the bin filled....killed about 30 minutes. :P

Turns out much of the area I searched has another hunter as I heard comments from a few tellers. I also thought it was interesting that almost all the banks coin machines had less than $100 in the bag except 2, one had around $400 and one had around $200 (not including the one I had previously known about).

I am glad I went back for the bag that was $800+ when I did as the tellers said they ran alot of coin over the past week and apparently someone had cashed in a bunch of halves as it only took like $15 to fill the bag instead of $200. Probably would have shipped very soon.

Finally got around to searching them this afternoon. Although I had hoped for better when the teller told me the bag had been there for at least two years, it was still okay.

1 Franklin (1961-D)
4 - 90% Kennedy (1964-D(4))
9 - 40% Kennedy (1966, 1967(6), 1968-D(2))
2 Proof Kennedy (1972-S, 1976-S)
2 NIFC Kennedy (2002-D, 2004-P)

And the 1972-S Proof was in about as poor shape as I have seen a proof coin. No mirror left on the front, and barely visible on the back.

The rest of the day only turned up $165 in halves that I could buy. Out of that only got
1 - 1961-D Franklin
1 - 1964-D Kennedy

I also ended up with another 1978-D Ike Dollar.

And finally near the end of the day I picked up a couple of bags of lower denom stuff.

1 - $200 bag of nickels
2 - $50 bags of pennies

All in all, I found enough to pay for gas plus a little, but not as great a day as I had hoped. Oh well, better luck next time. :)
 
Upvote 0
Finished the bag of nickels...about average.

1 - 1945-D War Nickel
47 other pre-1960 Jefferson (1939(2), 1940(2), 1940-D, 1940-S(2), 1941(2), 1941-S Small S, 1947-S, 1948, 1948-D(2), 1949, 1951, 1953-D(2), 1954-D(3), 1956, 1956-D, 1957-D(7), 1958, 1958-D(9), 1959-D(7))

9 Canadian (1975, 1978, 1979, 1983(2), 1986, 1998, 2000, 2003-P)

3 Foreign
Mexico, 20 Centavos (1982)
Netherlands, 5 Euro Cent (2000)
South Africa, 1 Rand (1992)

1 Flattened Penny
1 dime
6 pennies


Oh, ad one of the 1940-S nickels is in AU.
 
Did the first bag of pennies from this batch

15 wheat pennies (1919, 1941, 1944-D, 1944-S, 1945, 1945-D, 1946, 1951, 1951-D(2), 1955-D, 1956, 1956-D(2), 1958-D)

25 Canadian (1961, 1962, 1964, 1967(2), 1968, 1973, 1978(6), 1979, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1989(2), 1991, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2004)
 
Just finished the last penny bag of this bunch.

For the most part..not so good.

9 wheat pennies (1941, 1941-S Small S, 1944, 1945-D, 1952-D, 1954-D, 1955-D, 1958, 1958-D)

27 Canadian (1953, 1956, 1957, 1964, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981(2), 1982(2), 1983(2), 1989(2), 1993(3), 1995, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006)

1 Foreign (Bahamas, 1 Cent (1998))

1 play money penny

But...

the 1953 Canadian penny is the Shoulder Fold variety which apparently is the rarer variety. I have no idea of its value, just that its the first one of that type that I have found.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom