A bandits confession?

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

When I first met my future boss, his appearance was so deceptive.He looked like the university facility janitor, until I started taking to him. I was doing a degree on Russian history the fall of Czarist empire. And yet this "janitor" stuck a conversation in such a great detail on the very subject as casually if he had been there himself? The astonishing conversation ended and handed me a card and said if you ever get stuck for work email me. One thing it taught me is to never underestimate anyone. And of course I graduated at the beginning of the GFC and joined the unemployed masses as most much work for historians. I did 12 months contract of teaching history to high school kids that had no interest whats so ever as half were destined for jail before they reach 20. It was during those frustrating months I found the email I was given.

From there I was associated into the realm of the elusive somewhat unholy trio as a personal assistant. They collected and researched treasure legends from all over the world. I have never met people with such a passion of history and treasure legends. Its now been about 4 years and I have never looked back. I have done international travel every year and have been slowly revealed secrets of a vast collection of books, documents, papers journal. newspaper magazine clippings. maps charts , private letters. official government documents all pertaining to lost treasure from various places from all over the world. And still growing. Met a whole array of intriguing people and visited some of great archives of the world.

And now just performed a great coup in obtaining a very rare book that they had been looking 20 years for. So I have the next month or so off on Holiday and do not start working again until after new year. However the vast collection has been divided into three lists A, B, C,. The A list even I am bound by non disclosure agreements. B list are works still in progress of evaluation. C list are legends that do not fit their Modus operandi and in the spirit of sharing my boss once posted these in forums himself but it impeded his time when needed on other things. So he has allowed me to share some of his stories from is C list. However still in their own right very interesting.

So the following treasure legend as will all stories have be judged on their merits. And who knows perhaps It is you who will unlock the truth behind such story?

The following story was sourced from Sacramento Daily union, Volume 90, number 96 , 11 December 1895. Bandits confession.

Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 90, Number 96, 11 December 1895 — A BANDIT'S CONFESSION.jpg

Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 90, Number 96, 11 December 1895 — A BANDIT'S CONFESSION P2.jpg

Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 90, Number 96, 11 December 1895 — A BANDIT'S CONFESSION P3.jpg

Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 90, Number 96, 11 December 1895 — A BANDIT'S CONFESSION P4.jpg

Strange enough my boss once told me it is obscure stories that some times shows more promise than famous ones for those who are prepared for some diligent research.

Anyway enjoy.

Corp.

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Very true amigo - (obscure treasures) and looks like we got two confessions for the price of one, including your own that is! Great post!
:tongue3:

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Oro

Sadly there is not much meat on the bone of my confession. However it does disclose how I became interested in such legends. And no doubt the very presence of anyone reading this would agree how addictive it can be.
So for fun if anyone is interested. Lets see how far we can dig into this legend and see where the story takes us?

For example what can a collective group of people can discover from a story such as this?

Anyone?

Corp

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Unfortunately my time is limited or I would contribute - however I look forward to reading more! Please do continue, as you have time?
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Oro

My time is limited as well as Christmas will be upon us as sooner than we can imagine. A chance for some summer surfing for me and some time at gym. And Next year well who knows? Legends like these do have purpose even if there is sadly no pot of gold at the end of the proverbial rainbow. They are what my boss calls them a brain and mind gym. It sharpens observation and research skills

Here is another Newspaper story. The San Francisco Call Volume 79. Number 13, 13th December 1895

San Francisco Call, Volume 79, Number 13, 13 December 1895  INTERVIEW WITH A BURGLAR..jpg

One point of Note the Authorities of the time believed at least Witherow had some knowledge of the area in question? Was It just a ploy to spring him out of jail or was their really money hidden some where near Hope?

Of course it is fair to say any paper currency even if still there would be most likely long gone today. However there is deeper lessons in such stories such as this the more you research these legends the more twists you will find. These lessons will earn their keep later in researching other legends.

Another point is Witherow was jailed as Burglar not a train robber. That of course does not rule out that he was not a train robber in the past? From the story so far he allegedly claim the money was from two separate train robberies? Northern Pacific Railroad train robbery and another from the Southern Pacific railroad.

So the next logical step was see if there was any robberies committed before 1895 that fits the profile of our alleged Train Robber?

Corp

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiiluv, There is an overload of information on that.

I The Union Pacific Railroad Museum in Council Bluffs Iowa houses one of the oldest corporate collections in the nation. It includes artifacts, photographs, and rare documents that tell the story of the railroad and the American West it helped build. Among the collection is information about the era's outlaws, weaponry, and a lot about the immigrants who traveled west to build a new life. It's an excellent family side trip when on a road trip to Council Bluffs. The museum address is 200 Pearl Street in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

The Train Robbers There are also some particularly interesting stories that came from operating this railroad. One very unique story is how the Union Pacific dealt with the increasing threat from the latter 1800's outlaws.

First Report of the Robbery of the CPRR Eastbound Overland Express of $41,600 in Gold Coin at Verdi, Nevada.
November 5, 1870.
The Kansas Daily Commonwealth
November 12, 1870

NEVADA.

Reno, November 5.—The Central Pacific passenger train, bound eastward, due here at 1 o'clock, A.M., arrived at Verdi, a small station 11 miles west of Reno, on time. Just as the train was starting from a station, three masked men boarded the express car, and five more immediately came to their aid from the rear cars. These five evidently from the west on the train. Six stepped on the express car, which they detached from the main train by cutting signal rope, etc. ; two jumped on the engine, placing pistols to the engineer's head, commanding him to move on, which he did.

Two brakemen endeavored to keep the masked men off the express car, but pistols, placed at their heads, compelled their retreat. The conductor rushed forward, but pistols stopped him ; finding a hatchet, he came forward again, in time to see the engine a express car separated from the train and flying down the track. The robbers then placed the fireman, express and mail messengers in a mail room and locked them up ; when within six miles of this city they stopped their train, broke open the express boxes, and robbed them of $41,600 in gold coin.

Later investigation shows that they put the coin in old boot tops, and escaped to the mountains. A double barrel shot gun and pick were left by the robbers, at the quarry where were they opened the boxes. All the telegraph wires were cut west of Reno. Two of the Western Union wires, however, were repaired by daylight.

Parties are searching the mountains, and will probably be able to throw more light on their bold robbery during the day.

Central Pacific out of Oakland was held up near Truckee, California and seven masked men got away with $42,000 in gold and gold coin.Incidentally the mount in gold and Siler coinage is very very imprresssive. Be worth following up.

Don Jose de La Mancha.

p.s. Now about the Quipu ?

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Don Jose

Thank you for the very interesting post. I have learned much from it. I would some day would like to visit that museum. I never realized there was three railroads spanning from East to west. The Original the Union Pacific railroad, the Southern Pacific railroad, And the Northern pacific rail road. One thing one learns quickly is the occupation of train robbery becomes more frequent from the Late 1870's onwards to the 1890's where it peaked in the amount of robberies. Train robberies slowly decreased by the start of WW1. Before that various stage coaches was the target as they were eventually better defended and latter the transhipment of money and goods by train took a lot cargo away from coaches so did the crime shift towards train robberies.

According the Newspaper stories posted above the alleged robberies W B Witherow was involved in was on the Northern Pacific and the Southern Pacific.

So for now I concentrated on trying to discover the actual robbery that took place on Northern Pacific Railroad prior at least to W B Withrow incarceration in at least before 1895. The railroad was constructed between 1870 and 1883. So we could assume the robbery took place between the years 1883 and 1895. A 12 year period. So I searched for newspaper stories pertaining to any train robberies connected to the Northern Pacific rail road. Of the course this period was right in the era of when train robberies peaked across America so there was several Robberies that could of been Connected to W B Witherow?

From the 1900 Census where W B Witherow was listed as a prisoner we have some interesting data on him. He was Canadian born in Canada in 1868. He could read and write and went to school, his father was Canadian also. His Mother was from Missouri. The Northern Pacific railroad had branches going into Ontario and Winnipeg Canada. James B Boyd was listed in the Canadian Census of 1891 as a farmer from Canada. how he met of knew W B Witherow is matter for speculation however it is quite possible they knew one another in Canada. However it should be noted there is discrepancy between the names of both newspaper article. One is James R Boyd of Washington in the other article he is called James B Boyd. They could be one and same person but more research is needed to confirm James R Boyd of Washington is one and the same as the Canadian Boyd?

One thing of interest is there is no records of W B Witherow in 1910 Census or any afterword. No death records. Perhaps he died in Prison?

The Northern Railroad Supervisor F W Gilbert was a former blacksmith in the 1880 census. His role of supervisor of track maintenance by 1895 could of been possible. But by no means conclusive. So the three main characters in this legend appear to have been real people although to be confirmed exactly. The essence of the story is plausible and of course require further investigation.

Corp

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key to the story is of course the village called Hope.

Here are some historic picture of hope a key interchange point along the Northern Pacific railroad. The alleged cache was about a mile from the railway line near Hope up above the timberline.

HopeID_HI small size.jpg

To understand the location we need to understand the history of the site. One of the most important buildings in Hope was the Hope hotel. The first Hotel burn't down in 1885 and the second one was built on the site shorty after. The Picture below is of the second hotel from 1885 onwards. This Hotel had a tunnel from the cellar to the railroad below. The building has had a long interesting history itself including several murders.

oldphoto64.jpg

Lucky as old man time has been kind enough to let the building survive into our century. It is interesting to note that perhaps our bank robber W B Witherow spent time there while waiting for connecting trains? Below is picture of the hotel below that has been restored to its former glory.

hope hotel.jpg

One thing will all treasure legends they tell a story of people and places and some times the motives and driving factors behind such legends.

To be continued..

Corp

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Corp

Once again thanks for the interesting story. I remember this story. We talked about it with your boss at our bar a few years back over few beers. There was some scope for further research of this story. It could be possible to trace the descendants of the key players in this story? I am somewhat surprised that he did not keep this story in research pile B? But then again the general has so many treasure document he could never in a lifetime follow all of them through.

Anyway I notice you concentrated on the Northern Pacific railroad Robbery. That was not the key robbery that was only a minor one. The Southern Pacific railroad was the real money spinner over 50000 most in gold coins.

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — THE SACRAMENTO ROBBERY P1.jpg

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — THE SACRAMENTO ROBBERY P2.jpg

By the way congratulations a little birdy told me your other half has finally proposed to you. About time too. If I was 30 odd years younger I would be doing the same my sweet Amy. I hope you know you have broken the hearts of the unholy trio. Don Jose will also be devastated, Anyway congratulations girl you done us proud.

I have more on this train robbery topic if time permits.

Crow

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow you posted -->
By the way congratulations a little birdy told me your other half has finally proposed to you. and --Don Jose will also be devastated,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sniff, no more secrets of Tayopa for you Amy, but possibly for the abominal trio, :coffee2::occasion14: friend ship ya know..

After all what is just 67 years difference in ages, and being broke amount to ??? True love should triumph over any difficulties.

Hmm now I will have to change my religion back from Xxxxxx, and start 7 years of mourning and abstinence.

Since I already have my teen age bride, as a matter of fact it is now almost 70 years with the same lovely lil broad. Guess it might last since mi Lovely Amy has deserted me.

General, I only wish that the 'best' man had won hehehhehehe

Sheesh, now I will have to decipher the Quipur knots by myself and Crow.

A broken Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s err about the ship load of Polynesian lovelies ------

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Jose

Ya they will go the same way. One by one they will break my heart. But being a part Orishman with roving in ya blood you might enjoy this old swabie song.

Roving to the four corners of the world old shantie as we work to hoist the sails. Great working song in keeping with old sailing ships.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is more details on the southern Pacific train robbery. Los Angles Herald Volumes 43, Number 2 13th October 1894.

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — DETAILS OF THE ROBBERY p1.jpg

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — DETAILS OF THE ROBBERY p2.jpg

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — DETAILS OF THE ROBBERY p3.jpg

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — DETAILS OF THE ROBBERY p4.jpg

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — DETAILS OF THE ROBBERY p5.jpg

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — DETAILS OF THE ROBBERY p6.jpg

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — DETAILS OF THE ROBBERY p7.jpg

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 43, Number 2, 13 October 1894 — DETAILS OF THE ROBBERY p8.jpg

Perhaps this was the robbery was referred to by W B Witherow. Either was one of the perpetrators or some thing he heard about from another prisoner jail.

One thing there seems to be no mention of any of that money being recovered. Perhaps part of the alleged cache above hope is some of the proceeds from that robbery as well?

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Corp

I may be and old dinosaur of the 20th century but I can still use a memory stick.:laughing7:

Time is passing before we sail again so Adios ,,,,I give your the honors of finishing the story.

crow

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow

Well if I do not hear from you before Christmas have a good christmas and pass on my seasons greetings to Kanacki and family and crew.

Here and interesting story of Murder in hope.

San Francisco Call, Volume 75, Number 175, 24 May 1894 threatened to fix him. Hope hotel murder.jpg

Was this dispute over the proceeds of an earlier robbery on the Northern Pacific Railroad? Hope was an interchange for railway workers on the line. So the hotel saw plenty of business. W B Witherow was burglar perhaps not a train robber? Was he the actually perpetrator of the two train robberies or some one who knew the details from a fellow inmate, who used info to arrange a jail break?

The break we need may be found in the list of prisoner interred at the same time as W B Witherow?

Corp

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again

It should be noted it appears that Jeanett and Martin's Saloon was the original name for the Hope hotel.

Corp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread