A big old Lady Walked my way in the woods!

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went for a short hunt back to the woods with my brother this past Sunday morning and the first coin I dug was this big Walkin' Lady! Yes, a 1937 Walking Liberty Half, my first! I was pretty pumped about the big silver, especially for the first coin I hit right off the bat. The rest of the day we found some wheats and the now dreaded tax tokens. I think folks gave these things to the kids back in the day to use as play money or something since they are so plentiful.
Anyways, I washed the dirt off for better pics.

Attachments

• Dirty Lib front.JPG
    Dirty Lib front.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,047
  • Dirty Lib rear.JPG
    Dirty Lib rear.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,046
  • Cleaned front.JPG
    Cleaned front.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • Cleaned rear.JPG
    Cleaned rear.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,027
Upvote 0
:'( :'( :'( Still looking for my first one!!! WTG on the Beautiful silver!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Dang I must've just missed that one! Lol, nice find, good to know theres still a lot of good stuff to be found around here!

Thats a wa banner if you asked me, I really need to hook up with you soon, awesome find!!!

tax tokens once the "grand experiment" of getting them used nationally by all the states failed (some but not all states tried them out -- they were wildly UNPOPULAR *)-- and once the programs ended they were basically worthless -- so why not give them to the kids to play with? as "play money"

nice big ole dirty lady.

Big silver always welcome in my digs ,great shape half good find :icon_thumleft:

An exiting first ! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: I remember my 1st Walker like it was yesterday ! I think I thumb cleaned mine in the field as well ! A habit that you must and will break once you put thumb scratches on a Key date coin ! The more you want to see exactly what you have found the less you shoud touch it ! I learned this from this site and the hard way ! MaineRelic,

I knew there was one out there. I bet there's more too. WTG.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Awesome find! You must have some sacred ground down there or something. I wish the old silver would move through the ground a little farther north, lol.

JuJu said:
I knew there was one out there. I bet there's more too. WTG.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

You said it! There has to be more for sure. I wish we had a brush-hog to clear off the briars and bushes, we could get to the rest of it!

Those Walking Liberties are one of my favorite coins minted by the United States! Nice saves :wink:

Congrats on the big silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back