A bit Less sunlight but alas! ....more large Coppers!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The temps are finally letting off a bit so I decided to hit a local spot. I haven't hunted a New Jersey site for months now, but it was finally time to visit an oldie I've beaten to bits. I only had a small strip of clear area, but something unexplainable happened - I scored three coppers. Perhaps I'm terrible at detecting...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534584.762255.jpg
The first signal I dug was a copper. Normally I would just pack up and go, but I stayed.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534600.145917.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534611.291798.jpg

Another (1807)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534627.116933.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534685.071556.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534638.463487.jpg

And another (1817)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534653.672538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534669.026992.jpg

A video since I had a feeling. Unedited because I'm good at detecting, bad at video editing...

Of course in between I dug a ton of nails and junk iron. One mid tone, no lows.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534703.214105.jpg
And that "black glass"
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534722.624274.jpg

Three coppers in 2 hours from this site is insane. I've been skunked here more than I care to share. It just goes to show there's always at least one more;)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534845.253807.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503534859.226518.jpg

Good digs
Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 43

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, Scrappy!
Yep, sometimes the "Stars just align right!" All that aside....I do think there are things & conditions we don't know about or understand that effect our success or failure..............but that's what keeps us going back!!

Keep on a diggin'!
Iowa Dale

Yes..I find a difference with my battery charge and with moisture conditions of the soil. After a rain there is more conduction of sound for me.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
very cool! congrats on the coppers. I know that the brush etc can give you fits and it tends to cause one to shy away from it but you put out some effort and it paid off for you big time

I love bush, the forest anyway. Lol

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
we's been sufferin' from Scrappy Deficiency Syndrome :dontknow:_____now dat youse back wit da loot____all is good with the Universe 8-)

Ha, hopefully with the change of seasons and a more open schedule, I'll be able to get out more. I see you've been getting out quite a bit this summer. No bush upstate?

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great triple copper day!:headbang: don't be hard on yourself for missing those three before LOL maybe your batteries were dead

Or maybe my detector wasn't on. Haha!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds man! I would be stoked to find 3 coppers in an entire day let alone 3hrs. Just another example there are few "hunted out" sites! Thanks for sharing!

All the signals were masked to one degree or another. What it came down to this time was if I didn't dig iron signals, I wouldn't have dug anything. All unmasked signals, high and low, were gone.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you using the same detector that you had in the past at this site? If it's a new machine that could account for some of the new luck. Maybe you've honed your skilz with the machine since you last hunted that site. Also the ground changes from year to year. I know every time I revisit an old pounded site I come away with several keepers. Wooded sites are interesting in that they looked different depending on the time of year. I find myself swinging over the exact same areas when I hunt the same site for several hunts in a row. But if I come back 6 months later it looks like a different place and I am sure that I am swinging over new ground.

Whatever it was it was good to you. Congrats on a great day!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three Largie's in one day!!!!! Were happy if we can find at least one a year out our way!!!! Congrats on some great saves!!!!!!:occasion14:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little more sunlight....for those coppers....which haven't see the light of day in close to 200 years!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
3 coppers make for an awesome day

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and LC's Scrappy. Just goes to show how much stuff we miss.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice work Steve! No matter how many times we hunt a site we can never get it all. Even when going slow, swinging the coil in the usual serpentine pattern leaves many unintentional gaps, and in grown-up, woody areas this problem is magnified. Many other issues can result in targets being missed, but I think the one I just mentioned seems to be the most prevalent in my experience. So don't feel ashamed - you definitely know what you're doing. Congrats on those coppa's ....

Much appreciated Bill. A lot of guys say "the wetter the better" concerning ground conditions, but I'd beg to differ. That CTX of mine always does best in dirt with moderate moisture but not enough to clump. Dunno.

Either way it was a very memorable detecting experience. Digging each one of those largies was quite enjoyable since I wasn't expecting anything more than a nail encased in an inch of iron. Brought me back to the old days when your head about popped off when you found a copper.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill nailed it. In fields where you're able to grid in a tight pattern you're still going to miss something (Bill doesn't really miss anything). The woods are another animal because you can't really grid, you just pick an area and do the best you can to cover it all.
For what it's worth, I think you're a great relic hunter! Congrats on the coppers.

Aww shucks Joey, you are sweet sometimes like Brad says you are! Haha.

And yep, I heard Bill misses nothing. He like a hawk that sees the tiniest mouse 150' below him. But instead of a mouse it's a Lord Baltimore or hammered English

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
3 coppers is a phenomenal hunt in my book. People miss a lot in the woods, too hard to be thorough with all the obstacles, I'm sure there are more secrets there. Nice finds.

Woods hunting is surely one of the toughest types of detecting imho. I spend half my time clearing brush and moving branches and trees that others were too lazy to move. Watch I'll go back to that spot and get majorly skunked. Good to hear from you Evan

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now what's there not to like about popping three coppers at a hit site, congrats on the hunt. I'm the first to admit that I have always hunted like a drunken sailer but in the bush it works well. :)

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds,man i can't wait to get back out detecting again.too many bugs here in salem co. won't be long here soon.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Aww shucks Joey, you are sweet sometimes like Brad says you are! Haha.

And yep, I heard Bill misses nothing. He like a hawk that sees the tiniest mouse 150' below him. But instead of a mouse it's a Lord Baltimore or hammered English

If you put yourself on the right site, and walk over the right spot, even a pre-schooler could find a Lord B. I guess I have to live by that strategy now as my eyesight is finally catching up with my age. The days of 20/13 are long gone, but you young-uns should do just fine ....

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go again, Speedhunter. If I would you I would never plan to hunt for more than two hours-the short hunts seem to bring you good mojo.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG SCRAP THATS A NICE WRAP.. NICE FINDS..

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, Scrappy!
Yep, sometimes the "Stars just align right!" All that aside....I do think there are things & conditions we don't know about or understand that effect our success or failure..............but that's what keeps us going back!!

Keep on a diggin'!
Iowa Dale

Agreed Dale. I've been over that ground during dry and wet season, winter and summer. Maybe it was because I only had. 20' x 100' section of clearing and gridded really slow. But yep, that'll keep me coming back there for a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread