Hi Sticky,
Bigscoop is right. Most of your success will come down to learning your machine well, and persistence even when you are having a slump. It's all a numbers game really. That and going to places that have been and/or still are heavily used for swimming. By a numbers game I mean the number of hours you hunt and the number of targets you are digging. I've heard people say that they average a gold ring for every 5 hours they hunt. I've also hears people say they average a gold ring for every 100 coins they scoop. I think there's some truth to these averages, but I personally believe it comes down to how much area you cover with your coil. I try to take as wide a swing as I can as I'm walking through the water, to cover as much surface as possible.
I use an Excalibur II and an Excalibur 800 with WOT coil. I hunt with a friend many days, and he uses both an infinium LS and an Excalibur. He gets out way more often than I do, and he hunts year round, while i pretty much just hunt the summer months. While his gold ring count is more than double than mine for the year ( I think he's at 35 or so), I've been getting more gold than he has when we've been hunting together and he uses his infinium. When we hunt together, he usually uses his infinium so that there's less interference between our machines - especially when we are hunting a freshwater pond and are in close proximity of one another.
Now, why am I beating him on gold when we hunt together? It is probably just luck that I went over the spot where the gold was sitting rather than he. If he had gone over that spot with his infinium, he certainly would have heard the signal and dug it. However, he does end up spending more time than I do digging Bobby pins and fish hooks - time that could otherwise be spent covering more ground with the coil. I also notice that he walks through the water faster than i do, taking much shorter swings with his coil. I guess over the course of a hunt we may end up covering the same amount of surface - me swinging wider, and he walking further, but I feel like I'm covering more surface with my slower walk and wider swing.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to being lucky enough to walk over gold and have your coil hit it at the right depth and angle so that you get a signal that you believe is worth digging.
Good luck in the water, and let us know what you end up getting.
Jim