A bullet maybe???

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that this could be almost anything but I thought I would give it a go at identification. I found this in a farmer's field at about four inches. When I first saw it I thought it was a musketball but then I saw that it was sorta domed shaped with an almost flattened bottom. The flat bottom looks like it may have been tooled...any ideas? It is lead and looks like it was in the ground for a while...thanks for the input.

Attachments

• bullet.JPG
    bullet.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 393
  • bullet1.JPG
    bullet1.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 405

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably musketball fired that gives it the dented marks

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
If a musketball, it either hit something very hard or it was cut in half because the shooter had more powder than balls and was trying to extend his bullet supply. ???

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes,and if it hit something very hard it would be very much flatter...this one may have hit something softer or like you say was half loaded

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I was thinking of something harder than flesh. It may have already slowed it's velocity and hit just enough to put an impression of the target onto it w/o pancaking.

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
stoney56 said:
blurr said:
Kinda looks like a shotgun slug. Same shape anyways. ???

John

Most that I'm familiar with are hollow based and usually have some kind of molded rifling pattern but not all of them.

You are right about the base being hollow. I just thought it had the same sort of shape. I will look for early shotgun slug pics and see if they had hollow bases. To be honest, I was just taking a wild guess :P

John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could this be a minie ball with the bottom portion cut away? I did a little research and that is what it looks like. Additional input or opinions would be welcome!

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any calipers to measure it? Take 3 readings around the circumference and average them and it should give you the approximate diameter. The fireing of the slug itself will diffuse the base of the bullet. Maybe the rounded part is the front of the bullet instead of the flat? If it is a bullet that is. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread