metaldetector101
Full Member
- Joined
- May 17, 2009
- Messages
- 141
- Reaction score
- 30
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Eastern PA
- Detector(s) used
- Whites Spectra V3i
How could you tell? Mine is about one ounze.Chug said:I found on similar a few weeks ago, Was told it was Pewter slag!!!!
bigcypresshunter said:Silver Searcher says you can test for silver with bleach. I dont know anything about it but here is where he mentions it.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,308902.0/topicseen.html
I agree with the others, most likely melted aluminum.

take a small piece of foil, put the object in the foil and spit on it, it should react by getting very warm, and giving of the smell of rotten eggs, if it doesn't...then it's not Silver Silver Searcher said:
There's another way also :P.......tin foil, the type you cook your Turkey in at thanks givingtake a small piece of foil, put the object in the foil and spit on it, it should react by getting very warm, and giving of the smell of rotten eggs, if it doesn't...then it's not Silver
SS
Way to go SS! Breezie
bigcypresshunter said:Silver Searcher says you can test for silver with bleach. I dont know anything about it but here is where he mentions it.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,308902.0/topicseen.html
I agree with the others, most likely melted aluminum.
Silver Searcher said:
There's another way also :P.......tin foil, the type you cook your Turkey in at thanks givingtake a small piece of foil, put the object in the foil and spit on it, it should react by getting very warm, and giving of the smell of rotten eggs, if it doesn't...then it's not Silver
SS
. I can picture many dozens of people across the world now trying this and you waiting for them to comment that it works...then you laughing hysterically.
Can anyone verify this works? I use a solution of Nitric Acid and Potassium Dichromate. One drop will change color for different metals. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,24080.0.htmlArmymusician said:Silver Searcher said:
There's another way also :P.......tin foil, the type you cook your Turkey in at thanks givingtake a small piece of foil, put the object in the foil and spit on it, it should react by getting very warm, and giving of the smell of rotten eggs, if it doesn't...then it's not Silver
SS
Hopefully this isn't a halitosis test. I can picture many dozens of people across the world now trying this and you waiting for them to comment that it works...then you laughing hysterically.
![]()
Also...tin foil or aluminum foil. This is an awesome piece of info and I want to get it right.
Your bottles look like antiques themselves..bigcypresshunter said:I use a solution of Nitric Acid and Potassium Dichromate.

I used to coinshoot in the 70's and I guess the chemicals are that old lol. Yes lots of typos. I borrowed the chart from an ol TN friend Real de Tayope. . Heres my chart and I see some differences.aaaaaaa said:Your bottles look like antiques themselves..bigcypresshunter said:I use a solution of Nitric Acid and Potassium Dichromate.
And what a lot of typos in that chart.. :P
But still interesting... I wonder if that's one of the methods used in the testing kits you can get on ebay etc..
I should delete it but it may have some value. Sorry.