A cob of some sort?

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
It's been a while since I found this--just haven't taken time to post it, but with the blizzard conditions here in Va., there's not much else to do! I found this old cut coin almost immediately after crossing the fence to get on the property I had permission to hunt. I searched here for other targets for about an hour with no luck. The field was very large--about 100 acres, so I spent the majority of the day randomly searching for an old homesite or other structure. All I found was a silver quarter. I returned to where I made the first find and although very tired, decided to look around there a little more. Within a few minutes, I found another silver cut coin. I know this sounds like a total lie, but I swear to you this is the truth--I found the other half of an old silver cob(?) I have been back to the site several times, but have found nothing else.
Is there any way to date this "coin"? I couldn't find a date on it--maybe it didn't have one or it's worn off. I think this style might be early 1700's or maybe even 1600's--I just don't know. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Attachments

• P1010088.JPG
    P1010088.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010089.JPG
    P1010089.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 90
  • P1010090.JPG
    P1010090.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010091.JPG
    P1010091.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 97
100% sure that it's silver? It has a little bit of a lead look to it, although the cut/break looks more like silver.

Upvote 0
Don't think a plow could have done that. Looks to me like someone flattened and cut it in half for a lesser spending value. Great and interesting find. Great pictures.

Upvote 0
Thank you all so much for all of your replies! I am constantly in awe of all the knowledge out there and the willingness to share it!

Upvote 0
100% sure that it's silver? It has a little bit of a lead look to it, although the cut/break looks more like silver.
I think so, TomPA. The top half showed more tarnish than the bottom, which I thought unusual since I think they both came from the same initial piece, but both parts test positive for silver using a light touchmark and silver testing solution. I hesitated to do this for fear of damage, but the piece was pretty worn and beat up, and you can't really tell where I rubbed it on the edge for the test. Thanks so much for your interest and your post.

Upvote 0
Yeap, & they chances of a match is a million to 1. If you went on odds alone this a banner day!
Thanks so much Crusader. I really appreciate your kind remarks, but I really don't think this is a banner find--there are many, many others out there much more banner worthy!

Upvote 0
It sounds likje you were meant to have the whole thing that is awesome. I would keep going back, I will re detect sites that Ive gone over many times when I find good stuff after it rains get a little more dcepth... Very sweet, Tommy --FROZEN IN MICHIGAN.......

Upvote 0
Thanks so much Crusader. I really appreciate your kind remarks, but I really don't think this is a banner find--there are many, many others out there much more banner worthy!
I've been on here years, & no-one has posted 2 halves of a coin before. In the UK we get cut half hammereds all the time, no-one ever matches them up. No-one on here would even give you a second hand account of a friend doing it either. My point is simple, that as a odds thing, you beat them all, my 1 in a million is an under-estimate.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back