What's new

A copper kind of day... and silver too!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
1,160
Golden Thread
1
Location
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was at a new site.... one that a friend told me about a few weeks back. His friend owned this site and said some old coins and buttons were eyeballed here in the past.

When we arrived and were introduced, the owner showed us a handful of large coppers found on the surface over the last thirty or so years when the field was plowed. So the three of us walked out to the site and I put the CTX 3030 to work.

It only took minutes to find an iron patch. But, to my dismay the only thing that popped up was an old grommet. Not to be dismayed, I worked toward the water source and found another iron patch. This one was much more promising! Within minutes a nice (albeit dateless) Large Cent appeared... followed quickly by a worn King George III Halfpenny. The 17?? Half Reale was next.... followed by pair of barely recognizable King George II coins. The 1832 Province of Canada Halfpenny Token was next.... that was a new one for me! :hello2: The final one was the last target of the day.... a beat and corroded 178? Connecticut Copper. :thumbsup:

That made the total 6 coppers and one half reale.... and only three buttons! Normally for me the button to copper ratio is about 15:1 or more, so this was a welcome change of pace too!

Its a day I will not soon forget, hope to get back there soon!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8561.webp
    IMG_8561.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_8611.webp
    IMG_8611.webp
    272.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_8605.webp
    IMG_8605.webp
    154.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_8603.webp
    IMG_8603.webp
    208.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_8613.webp
    IMG_8613.webp
    239.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_8610.webp
    IMG_8610.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_8606.webp
    IMG_8606.webp
    274.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_8608.webp
    IMG_8608.webp
    204 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_8615.webp
    IMG_8615.webp
    247.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8581.webp
    IMG_8581.webp
    587.2 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 18
Great day Keith. I love seeing old silver in the hole
 
I thought that was an odd one, because I recognized the bust being the same as the Nova Scotia tokens... so I looked it up and sure enough using that bust was an error. It's not an error coin because they were all struck that way, but a little story to go with it.
 
Steve, yes it was a capped bust.... I guess I should have been more detailed. :) The rest of the coppers looked to be fairly common and a few of them were in really nice shape. One was a half cent that looked like the day it was dropped except for the dark green patina.

Quindy- no one is sure what this place was... It's not listed on my old maps at all. They only thing that I haven't done is pull deeds and see if anything is listed on it.
 
Whats not to luv, lots of good stuff ! Keep it going
 
What a killer day on coins Keith!! Don't worry about the missing dates - I'm sure the thrill of the hunt more than made up for that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom