A couple from my "maybe" pile

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep looking and re-looking at a couple pieces from my "maybe" pile. I wondered if I could get some opinions. These came from my favorite local fields.
What do you think, are these the work of nature, incidental work of plows or the intentional work of man to sharpen these edges? It seems like these could be utilized flakes but I wouldn't put them with my for-sure pile without another opinion.

Seriously sorry if I am just adding to more geofacts posted here. If Tejaas (or anyone for that matter) feels like posting a cartoon response I have it coming! ;)

This first one is oolitic chert I think. It has chips along both sides of one edge that is somewhat sharp.
FieldStone-Summer2015-Img_0138SSS.jpg

FieldStone-Summer2015-Img_0140SSS.jpg

FieldStone-Summer2015-Img_0142SSS.jpg

FieldStone-Summer2015-Img_0144SSS.jpg

FieldStone-Summer2015-Img_0145SSS.jpg

This second one looks like a piece of jasper. Kind of looks sharpened on one side along the edge, other side left alone (in the last pic, the right side is the side that seems sharpened from the opposite side).
FieldStone-Summer2015-Img_0148SSS.jpg

FieldStone-Summer2015-Img_0151SSS.jpg

FieldStone-Summer2015-Img_0152SSS.jpg

FieldStone-Summer2015-Img_0155SSS.jpg

Happy hunting,
Eric

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be the first to say I'm not seeing enough about it to say it's from the hand of man. The flaking was done by other forces such as a plow as you mentions or other natural elements, imo. I can see why it caught your eye, as it would have mine also.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
They could be utilized flakes. Looks like the flaking is predominantly on just one edge.

Plow damage? Highly doubtful.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see the first one is just natural, the chips could have come from moving in a creek or river. The second one looks like a flake tool that got smaller chips in the sharp edge from rolling in a creek. JMO

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like pieces to me. I really not see anything whole. Next to last one looks interesting.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Though they were not found near water I live on a big glacial deposit so anything could have happened in the history of any rock I find around here. That keeps it interesting. :)

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
If it was natural chipping on about any piece, it would be pretty evenly distributed on all the edges. When you find worked edges, and unworked edges on the same piece, i would lean towards un-natural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread