Pottery Question-see pictures

Sep 18, 2011
Attached are images of what I believe to be a small piece of pottery-found in Illinois. Do you agree? It is quite thin-is this common?
Second question-I found other pieces similar in thickness and color but without temper. This is the very last few images. Being that it lacks temper but has similar color and texture (it also breaks somewhat easily)-could this be a piece of pottery without temper? These were found side by side of each other.
any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The first piece looks like a pottery sherd. I can't really tell with the other piece. I have a few thin examples; most are thicker....

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
The property is next to a very large Creek. A good amount of pottery shards have been found over the years, with a good amount of pieces like the last 2 images. It is the same color and texture as a pottery, however it does not show the same amount of temper as the other pottery pieces do. I have wondered if this is just natural clay that has hardened over the years. I have also read that in some cases, Clay was fired without temper. I'm curious if this could be a piece like that?

I would appreciate any feedback on this inquiry… Thanks

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first piece is pottery, the second one is clay that has broken away from a layer in that creek bed some where. You are right with the way you were thinking. The clay looks to have a iron content to it, from the color.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st pottery
2nd sandstone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread